Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What's the best available bellows fabric?

Re: What's the best available bellows fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Instead of saying the same thing over and over again, why don't you read the post from the person who followed your advice and was rebuffed? I had a feeling that would happen, that's why I didn't waste my time doing it.
    How come you missed that I read his post?
    What are your feelings now about trying to use Google to find a supplier for you? Just curious...

Honestly I really like the bellows I made with Zero light emission

all cotten Duck cloth exterior, Black poster board stiffs, interior drapery blackouts and flat black cotten inners. simplicity and functionality for a few bucks and 4 hours

While you may like your material on your camera, it is far, far from being "the best available bellows material". It is too thick for smaller cameras, such as those of the Wista class etc. There isn't anything like "the best available bellows material" convenient for all cameras. Even if there are those who cannot understand it while looking for their Holy Grail bellows material...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    While you may like your material on your camera, it is far, far from being "the best available bellows material". It is too thick for smaller cameras, such as those of the Wista class etc. There isn't anything like "the best available bellows material" convenient for all cameras. Even if there are those who cannot understand it while looking for their Holy Grail bellows material...
    Whats the dimensions of a Wista bellow? My bellows go from 24" to a compressed 2" and this is using fairly fat stiffeners and 2 layers of inner cloth. My thoughts are the perfect stiffs and Fabric paint/coating ( coating that sticks to fabric and remains flexible)would be as important as the fabric. Even drapery blackout cloth is about as thin as it gets for an inner if you find the right coating.
    My guess is the best bellows material is whatever the original camera used as material. Duck Cloth is far from "thick" if you were talented with an iron, you could possibly skip stiffs or use a razor thin plastic for stiffs.

Without measuring the exact dimension - Wista have smaller folding edge and therefore uses more folds on the given length. That only would make the bellows thicker. Also, it uses rise movements for which thick compressed bellows would not be good. Not to speak about the pressure they would exert on the small Wista lens standard etc. etc.
    Coating with paint only is not a good idea either - the paint is not made for folded corners for a longer time of use. For the same reason all bellows repairs made with some thicker paint often tooted as "it works fine" are just temporary unwise substitutes to properly repaired bellows.
    Your illustrated camera goes fine with the bellows you have, no doubt, it was good work. And sure, the original camera material is what one camera can use - but often not a different camera model. There are horses for the courses...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Have you looked here? Most are sandwichs. You could ask Micro Tools as well.
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Yup. Ad nauseum. Nothing seems to be currently available.

anyone have any ideas what to glue bk5 with? Just emailed the manufacturer but I'd be interested in any ideas. Seems really slick.

For the record, BK5 is not even close to lighttight with one layer (at least the piece I bought). Two layers though seems bullet proof. It seems to be the only option for a thin fabric right now.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    anyone have any ideas what to glue bk5 with? Just emailed the manufacturer but I'd be interested in any ideas. Seems really slick.

For the record, BK5 is not even close to lighttight with one layer (at least the piece I bought). Two layers though seems bullet proof. It seems to be the only option for a thin fabric right now.

Thanks!
    Theres very little 3M super 77 spray adhesive doesnt stick to if properly prepared. Rubber cement? High grade vinyl electrical tape, I have bought it as wide as 4"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paschke View Post
    ...all cotten Duck cloth exterior, Black poster board stiffs, interior drapery blackouts and flat black cotten inners. simplicity and functionality for a few bucks and 4 hours
    Looks good Mark, so do I understand correctly that you have 3 layers of fabric?
    1. cotton duck cloth exterior
    2. interior drapery blackouts (is this white?)
    3. flat black cotton inners

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    Looks good Mark, so do I understand correctly that you have 3 layers of fabric?
    1. cotton duck cloth exterior
    2. interior drapery blackouts (is this white?)
    3. flat black cotton inners
    Yes, they didnt have any black drapery blackout so I bought some really tight weaved black cloth to cover the white. IMHO the blackout drapery cloth was a little bit of a waste. I'm up to about 25 Wet Plates shot, 4-5 outside and the inside are flooded with over 300 watts of light and I have seen no light leakage so far

Outside with noon sun shining on belows, my very first outside picture I took

and Inside flooded with massive lights

and longer exposure, more patient victim