Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coupled viewfinder on 6x9 cameras?

coupled viewfinder on 6x9 cameras?

I'm still searching for my ideal camera. Now my thoughts came back to technical 6x9 cameras like Horseman VH-R or Linhof Technika, that have a coupled viewfinder. My question is: Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?

I made experiences with a 4x5 field camera and different types of medium format rangefinders.
    My experience is, that I am often in a bit of hurry when taking pictures. Well, that's my way. Therefore I like rangefinders like the Fujica GW690. But what I really miss on this type of camera is rise and fall.
    My Shen Hao HZX IIA gives me these movements, but the basic setup is too cumbersome, especially focusing on the ground class is not what I want to do when time is an issue. A viewfinder on a field camera is exactly what I need, but only if it is coupled with rise and fall.

Re: coupled viewfinder on 6x9 cameras?

The rangefinder view window of the Horseman VHR does not show the effects of rise, tilt, or shift. However there is a monocular reflex viewer available which is actually kind of nice. (Both Linhof & Horseman but they are not interchangeable).

The disadvantage of the Horseman reflex viewer is that it has to be removed to attach the roll film holder, which pretty much forces the use of a tripod. Horseman also has a circular adapter which holds both the viewer and the roll film back, allowing a quick rotation to use either. The disadvantage of the circular adapter is that the film plane is moved further back making the shortest focal length lenses harder to use.

I'm not personally aware of anything that can approach the speed of a 35mm SLR with shift lenses. I've seen other threads about Makiflex & Gowlandflex cameras but the pictures I've seen don't show shift controls.

Jeff Keller

If you shoot wide, what about a Plaubel 69W ProShift Superwide?

Though no rangefinder, the finder follows the movement of the lens plate. It's similar to the Fuji you said you like so much...

http://wp.me/p16Snz-4k

No. But some Sylvestri cameras have a finder that shows rise/fall in the finder.

neophyte

If exact framing is not an issue you can use the sports finder on speed/crown graphics which will show rise and fall. No viewfinder will give you tilt: you need the ground glass for that.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

I hardly ever used real wide angle; on 4x5 my widest lens is 135mm.

Brian, really a good idea to point me into that direction! A Crown Graphic is maybe exactly what I'm looking for.

Put a roll film back on one of the Polaroid conversions . . .? Parallax corrected, coupled range/view finder.

I think Razzel has done some dedicated roll film conversions of these bodies. Check this forum for a link.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Before going 4x5, I used the tilt/shift adapter on Mamiya RZ67 a lot. Not a lot of shift, but plenty of tilt.

This is the question that was posed:

"Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?"

Very few responses addressed and answered this question. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    This is the question that was posed:

"Can I see the effect of rise and fall through the viewfinder with these types of camera?"

Very few responses addressed and answered this question. Why?
    Because this is the internet.