Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foma 400/Arista.edu 400

Foma 400/Arista.edu 400

Just bought a box of this but not sure I'll be able to test it before I use it. Anyone have much experience with it? I guess it's pretty new as a sheet film.

Thanks
    Paul

PS does anyone know what the .edu part of arista.edu is? In typing this, I guess it's their educational line. Duh. It's confused me for a while.

Re: Foma 400/Arista.edu 400

I believe that .edu is an effort to indicate it is a good student film, and it certainly is priced at a student level.

I use fomapan 100 for 8x10 and that is excellent with no problems.

I have tried fomapan 400 in 120 format. It was a pretty traditional B&W film; on the grainy side, easy to use tones, etc... In 120, it had some scratched emulsion in my scans; not sure if it was a manufacturing defect or a dirty rolleiflex; it wasn't my camera so I was not able to run different rolls through it to eliminate variables.

It would likely make a nice timeless image in 4x5 and it's not likely to experience the same issues as roll film. You could easily shoot a couple sheets of a properly lit scene prior to your intended use of it, then develop them first so at least you get the developing the way you want.

Ron Miller

I have a box of 4x5 myself and have shot a few but not developed yet. Looking for dev times and temps for Pyrocat-HD.

jp,

Does the 120 film curl? I've been using the Ultrafine films, which I believe are of Chinese origin, and they curl significantly (like a half-tube) when they dry. Otherwise, they're very nice films, and cheap, too. If the Edu 400 doesn't curl, I'd be happy to try that instead.

I have had no problem with the 120 film curl that some others have.

For the 4x5 (400), I have yet to achieve satisfactory results with it. I bought it on a whim, forgetting how little I like the foma 400. I have a half box left, and I still havent gotten a negative that Im legitimately happy with. I think that has more to do with me than the film though.

It scratches REALLY easily. be warned.

I have no problems with any 120 film curling. I have used tmx, tmy, neopan acros, fomapan 100, fomapan 400. I process them in patterson reels and hang them to air dry in my darkroom with a clothespin. I put another clothespin on the bottom to keep it straight lengthwise.

Thanks, guys! I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    jp,

Does the 120 film curl? I've been using the Ultrafine films, which I believe are of Chinese origin, and they curl significantly (like a half-tube) when they dry. Otherwise, they're very nice films, and cheap, too. If the Edu 400 doesn't curl, I'd be happy to try that instead.
    I'm curious about the Ultrafine 120 film. By any chance, is the inner wrapper bright red? And the backing paper, is it black, with a strange texture kind of like construction paper?

No, it's wrapped in silver mylar, but the backing paper is black, and there is no lick-and-stick band to secure the roll after it's exposed; just a tiny square of adhesive with a peel off cover. There are no edge markings, and there is a square hole on one end of the film. One of my rolls had a stray bit of paper in the pkg with Chinese characters on it. I suspect that it's Chinese in origin, but I don't know how many Chinese manufacturers there are, or how to distinguish one from another. I'm attaching a pic of a roll of the 100 ISO stuff which is identically packaged, which makes it impossible to know which film you have once the film is exposed. The only places the film speed is marked are the mylar wrapper, and the adhesive band that secures the roll before exposure.