Thread: An Oldie from Downunder

An Oldie from Downunder

Hi all,

I'm returning to B&W photography after an absence of 8 years whilst studying - too long a time to be away from something that had been so much a part of my life for decades.

I'm currently building up equipment from scratch (had to sell the darkroom gear as I had no place to set it up when we moved to Melbourne; also sold the Tachihara outfit, which I still haven't gotten over!). Following Ansel Adams advice, I now have the biggest camera I can carry, in this case a Linhof Technika 6x9, which with two lenses, film back, spot meter and filters - plus tripod - is about as much as my 67 year-old legs can manage.

When I started in photography at school, we used Super-XX which has long since disappeared. I believe that Efke closely compares and I'm looking forward to trying it. In my later years in B&W photography I mainly used PMK pyro as a developer, and I'm looking forward to trying the combination.

I'm not quite ready to start yet, as my one lens panel is currently on the way to Grimes in USA to have a duplicate made so that I can use both of my lenses, one a 135mm Linhof select Symmar, the other a Linhof select Super Angulon 75mm. I would have had both lenses functional, except that when I received the wide angle, I was surprised to find that the panel wouldn't fit. Linhof apparently changed the design of the front standard between Technika IV (my model) and version V which was what was fitted to the lens.

Thems the breaks. I just have to me patient for a few more weeks when all of the equipment will be together (hopefully) and I'll be able to make some spare time just for me.

Looking forward to making new friends in this wonderful place.

Regards,

Baz.

Lachlan 717

Re: An Oldie from Downunder

Welcome back, Baz.

We've got a good town for photography!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Welcome to group therepy, Barry. Lots of Linhoff users around here; as you get to playing around with 'em, I don't think you'd find 4x5 too big for you to tote, and they're great with roll film, too...but nothing wrong with the 6x9 Linhoffs. Have fun with your return to film!

Hi Barry,
    lots of LF users in Melbourne. We occasionally have meetings where we compare images and cameras. some of them inhabit the APUG forum as well.
    Welcome
    Mike

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome back to the darkside!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Hi Barry, where in Australia do you live?

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I live in Melbourne - I did try to set that up in my personal settings, but obviously didn't get the process right.

Michael, I'm attracted to the APUG group, but at the moment don't fully qualify as I'm limited to printing digitally. As I mentioned above, I sold all my equipment some years ago and am just putting together some camera gear at the moment.

I'm comfortable with conventional darkroom printing and have had some success with inkjet printing some of my old 8x10 and 4x5 negs from scans, but I'm not convinced that I'm all that proficient with digital printing. I'll give it more time, but have the feeling that I may have to build yet another darkroom. Whichever way it turns out, I'm set for a lot of fun!

Baz.