Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosy Products Print Washer

Rosy Products Print Washer

I recently bought one of these new from the manufacturer in Michigan and wanted to write some positive comments. I was looking for an 11x14 washer. I bought two used. The first was a Salthill which I assumed would be fabulous but one little piece of acrylic was broken and I just did not like it. I actually gave it away to a guy who is handy and he was able to fix the acrylic. He got a good deal. Then I bought a used Inglis washer. I already have an Inglis 8x10 film washer which is excellent. The print washer was also excellent. Inglis is high quality gear. But my version had only 6 slots and they were not large enough to accommodate 2 8x10's so I found it limiting. My other washer is a 20x24 Summitek which is good but it makes an awful sucking noise that is so loud I don't like being in the same room. Also, it is often overkill for washing 8x10's and 11x14's.

Anyway, I decided to buy a new washer. The larger sized 11x14 Inglis is pretty expensive so I tried the Rosy which is apparently identical to Arkay (they make Arkay I am told). It cost me about $300 including shipping so it wasn't cheap. But it is built like a tank and very functional. It is a stainless steel tank with a plastic insert for dividing the prints. The insert has an additional rod that can be used to force the separation of 2 8x10's in each slot so I can wash 20 8x10's in a compact washer. The footprint is significantly smaller than an acrylic washer. It must be used "in sink" unless you are creative. It comes with a washer hose and clamp that attaches to a stainless steel nipple at the bottom of the tank. I used the supplied clamp along with 3/8" ID vinyl tubing. Water exits 3 holes at the top of the water which makes it easy to level by visual inspection by looking at the meniscus at each drainage hole. It also has a small hole at the bottom which drains the bottom continuously. That is my only complaint because you can't leave it sitting there full of water. I cover it with tyvek tape which works OK but I might get some type of plug.

It works really well. It operates quietly. It is fairly efficient with water but not so much as the Summitek. The prints are easy to put in and take out - much easier than the 20x24 washer. He makes a custom crate for shipping which is impressive by itself. I saved mine. No way it could be damaged in shipping.

Not many darkroom gadgets of any sort still being made, especially in the USA, so I wanted to give very positive review for anyone considering buying a new print washer.

http://www.rosyproducts.com/archivalprintwashers.htm

Re: Rosy Products Print Washer

Just received a water temperature mixing panel from them. Also great quality/value!
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

There used to be a very good store in Chicago called Darkroom Aids. They sold darkroom products--plus they were jammed with all sorts of used equipment--it was a cool place. They manufactured their own stainless steel sinks and after the store closed, one of the staff opened Rosy Products. They have a great reputation for simple well-built products. Whenever I drive past the location where Darkroom Aids used to be, I still look for it--but it's never there.

I've been using one of these, the original Darkroom Aids model, for 20 years or so. It was tested and recommended by David Vestal in the '80s. Glad to see that it's still available.

I also have one, labeled Arkay.
    I bought it at the San Jose camera swap, about 12 years ago.
    works great, I like the little auto drain hole at the bottom.
    Just so all are aware, it needs to be used inside a sink.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I too have just bought a rosy products washer. It just arrived and is a thing of beauty. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but it's made very well and I am very happy with it. A gold star for Rosy Products.

They make a lot of stainless steel darkroom items and custom stuff too.

I ordered a sink from Rosy -- can't wait for it to be delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Thanks for posting this link. They're prices for stainless steel sinks are fairly reasonable, considering that building one from wood coated with epoxy would cost almost as much.

Don

Yes, thank you for posting this. I'm slowly looking around for a washer and to have one recommended with the details of your description really helps narrow the field. It is also good to support companies that are still supporting us.
    To find the answers - question them!

I tried to buy a 16x20 model but he told me that he does not manufacture them anymore.