Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collodion chemicals

Collodion chemicals

I have an Anthony Imperial Climax camera and a big brass Voightlander petzval lens sitting in my house waiting to get used.My original plan was to teach myself as I went along.It never happened.One reason is that I could not find anyone that had the chemicals in stock.So, can anyone tell me where I could get the chemicals.

Re: Collodion chemicals

Easiest place to start is Bostick and Sullivan--they have everything. Have you got some good references like John Coffer's guide? Otherwise you may fumble around and end up with a messy Climax.

ArtCraft in New York is who I use the most, and Bostick and Sullivan in New Mexico, both are online. Some individual chemicals can be hard to get, like ether (from artcraft, but not advertised, you have to call and ask) and Cyanide, which I purchase from Chemsavers ($$$$).

Bostick and Sullivan have a kit for about $200, and its a good way to start out. They use thiosuphate for the fixer, which is cheaper and easier than the cyanide, and I would highly recommend waiting on using cyanide when starting out. Despite all the pros and cons of the image quality, when your a beginner, just getting an image can be a challenge.

Also, I would recommend John Coffer's videos and manual (about $70), well worth it.

Wayne

John, if you have any desire to use cyanide you may want to purchase soon. Chemsavers is said to be the only retailer that will sell to individuals and word is that when their in-stock is depleted they will no longer sell to us. Their website shows that they have an inventory of 4 500g cans available. When I purchased about two months ago they had an inventory of 12.

Wow,you guys are great.I checked out the recommended sites.I like the kits,and bostick and Sullivan sounds good.As far as the cyanide as the fixer compared to thiosuphate,what is the difference.

Washing times for Cyanide are much much shorter than for the other fixers. Coffer says that Cyanide is visibly superior and has examples demonstrating that on his website.

I prefer KCN, but it's expensive and will soon be extremely difficult to get. You're better off starting with hypo and optimizing your system to a safe, cheap, and easily obtainable fixer. The fixer is a fairly minor issue to worry about. There are wet plate artists doing amazing beautiful work using hypo--and it isn't holding them back.

I think KCN fixed images are slightly clearer, and they do have a different color. I use hypo and the slight differences do not concern me.

I have a 2x3 Graflex SLR for which I'm thinking of building a wet plate holder. Does anyone know a source for 2x3 glass suitable for WPC work?

Jay, most cut their own glass to size. Common plain glass works great for all sizes so why not 2X3. I've also been thinking about using my baby graphic for WP.