View Poll Results: Field work vs. forum work (Note: You can give multiple answers)

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • This forum helps me, but it reduces the amount of time I’m in the field

4 7.69%
  • What? Thanks to this forum, I get into in the field more often

9 17.31%
  • My field work comes “first” – it only reduces my forum participation

6 11.54%
  • “Reduce participation”? My time in the field means I log-in here more often

6 11.54%
  • My needs dictate whether field or forum is best – one never “costs” the other

15 28.85%
  • I’m careful not to over-think such matters – that has its own cost

8 15.38%
  • If my needs (for field & forum) are equal, I usually like to head to the field

3 5.77%
  • If my needs are equal, I usually like to log-on

1 1.92%
  • If I feel a “tension” between the two, I keep in mind that … (Please share!)

0 0%
  • Heroique – wouldn’t you rather be working in the field, not creating this poll?

20 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Field time vs. LF forum — what’s your choice?

Field time vs. LF forum — what’s your choice?

Every forum participant here might, occasionally, feel a “tension” between working in the field (or studio) & participating in this helpful LF forum.

One activity must take time away from the other, right? Or wait – perhaps giving time to one increases the time you give to the other. Or maybe one has no effect on the other, ever.

In any case, if you’d like to vote – then quick! – vote what your “gut” says, and let’s have some fun with this. You can vote for more than one answer. (BTW, the answer to the poll’s final option is, “Yes, almost every time.”)

Then if you’d like, please share any deeper reflections & useful clarifications – we’d enjoy hearing your thoughts. For example, if someone asked, “Why are you online, not out there?” or “I haven’t seen you online for days, why not?” – what would your initial reply be?

-----
    (Note: I should add that the poll’s term “field” also means “studio,” or any other set-up location where you put your LF gear to work. That might be your den!)

Re: Field time vs. LF forum — what’s your choice?

If anyone was paying attention, and there's no reason anyone should be, they might notice I post frequently for a few weeks, and then not at all for a few weeks. I post from work, here in Alaska, when I can't be out making photos (until after work, that is). When I'm home I don't spend much time online. So, no tension for me.

Well, a 30 minute portrait session at my studio 10 minutes away doesn't exactly take up a ton of time! I definitely shoot more because of LFF. You guys are to blame for my move to 8x10, my giant studio camera, and my studio rent! Without LFF, I wouldn't be as poor, but I'd definitely be shooting a lot less.

It's true that sometimes I'm embarrassed by how much I'm on LFF (cue my fiancé: "are you on the large format forum AGAIN? What more is there to talk about about??"). But I'm eternally grateful for this forum and the incredibly helpful good-natured people here. So for me, there is no tension between LFF and the studio!

Preston Birdwell

I find that the time I spend here is very valuable because I learn something new every day from a group of very knowledgeable and dedicated individuals.

This place is an inspiration!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Love this forum. I've learned a ton here. It is great because when I can't go out and shoot (because of other commitments or the constraints of where I live that make things less accessible, etc.) I can still be learning and thinking about it.

Dave Karp

There is no relationship between the two for me. If I can go out and make some photos, or work in the darkroom I do that, and would not think of visiting here. I visit here when I have a moment or two, during times when photography or darkroom work are not possible.

They're clearly delineated activities. One I do with my clothes on, the other without.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    [...] I visit here when I have a moment or two, during times when photography or darkroom work are not possible.
    This is close to how I work. It’s easy for me to hit the field for several days in a row, but when it’s time for the darkroom, it’s best for me to work under the safelights for no more than two days out of any three. Otherwise, I begin making mistakes.

My “rest day” is often spent online, right here.

It’s during specific moments in the darkroom – or in the field – that “online questions” will occur to me. Sometimes, I’ll write them down. Later, the LFF is often my first way to address them. If I’m unable to find answers, the forum leads me to alternative sources of information. It inspires me to try to give back…

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I am just so glad that these forums have no webcams attached to them. Sooo glad, indeed.

I really like reading about cameras (all kinds of cameras) and getting them and playing with them, and discussing cameras on internet forums. Spending time taking pictures seems a little pointless since there are so many good pictures on the internet already.

I do take pictures though, and digital is clearly a superior way to take pictures because you don't have to waste time printing the pictures because you can just look at them on the back of your camera. Even better is to take video and look at it on your TV.

...Mike