Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it useful to have a light meter for my shooting style?

Is it useful to have a light meter for my shooting style?

I have a Minolta light meter (VF I think) (meters flash too). I haven't used recently it because (i) I don't have studio lights and (ii) when shooting landscapes or any other available light I meter with my DSLR.

I am trying to pare down my shooting kit to the essentials. Is the light meter an essential? If I were to get studio lights, would I be able to meter with the DSLR still or is a flash meter useful for that?

Re: Is it useful to have a light meter for my shooting style?

You can use a DSLR for evaluating studio lights too by taking a shot, viewing histogram, adjusting light output or aperture, repeat until you get it right.

If you really want to get down to metering essentials, sell the minolta, leave the DSLR home, and get a small lightweight analog meter, like the sekonic l208 or something made to go with a leica or old SLR.

jp--The Sekonic L208 seems very basic and costs probably as much as I would get for my Minolta. Why do you recommend it?

3d Visual Effects artist

If you want a very compact meter, try the Voightlander VC-II. I use one on my old folding 6x9cm Zeiss, seems to work quite well, and just sits right in the hotshoe :-) It won't do flash metering though.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voivcmet2.htm

Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

That voightlaender meter is so beautiful, but I can never figure out why light meters cost as much or more than cameras.

well, I've got a L208, and it's lightweight, especially compared to old antique metal light meters. And it's small, probably <2". It is plastic, but it's rugged thick plastic, having dropped it a bunch of times. Using it, you just press a button to get a reading which the needle indicates. Then you can spin the big dial to align with the needle and see what shutter/aperture combinations and/or EVs are suitable for that light reading. There is a smaller dial for setting the film speed.

Analog meters weak spot is likely not so much the case, but the precision and miniature electro-mechanical system for operating the meter's needle; the more sensitive they are, the easier they are to damage. This goes for light meters, electrical meters, speedometers, vu meters, etc...

I've got a minolta flash meter too (IV) and a DSLR for metering. The only advantage to those for incident metering is they are backlit, which if you need backlighting, it's probably too dark for existing light. I was suprised how much those minolta flash meters are holding their value.

I would rather not be without spot metering. YMMV. (I have (and love) the Sekonic 758dr. Expensive, yes, but so great to use.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    That voightlaender meter is so beautiful, but I can never figure out why light meters cost as much or more than cameras.
    Because they are not consumer-items produced in large quantity. The prices haven't gone down because they are still used by digital/cine users.

I have an Agfa Isolette that meter would be perfect for.

The little Voig. meter is only $250 ... is that a lot to have Damn near perfect metering in a tiny, current product?

But I guess when a WHOLE MEAL from McD's is only $2.99 ....