Thread: Arkay Stand Cable

Some people are bullfighters, CCB's Avatar

Arkay Stand Cable

Has anyone replaced the plastic-coated steel cable on their Arkay stand?

Did you get a replacement cable from Arkay, or fabricate one from stock?

Re: Arkay Stand Cable

I didn't replace mine, but I went to a steel supply company and bought a new column to go from 6' to 9' which required an extension of three feet for my existing cable.

I just took the original cable to the hardware store and had them fabricate the extension out of stock, including fixing the splice clamps in place. That part only cost a few bucks. I think the new column was about $70 and I hauled it myself. The column diameter is a standard size, so if you also want a taller stand, you should be able to do it the same way.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

The cable should be available at any well-stocked hardware store, and also at boating suppliers. It is called "aircraft cable", which suggests another possible source....

One thing to note: when you replace the cable, lay the stand down and slide the weight as close to the bottom as you can before attaching the crossarm and standing it upright. And do not get your finger between the cable and anything else if the counterweight is able to hang from it. (Please don't ask me why I know this---it still hurts....)

lenser: the Arkay that I have seems to have a ground or sanded finish on the column that was done before plating; did you find that plain structural tubing was close enough to the right diameter, or did you have to "finish" it yourself (I don't care about the plating, but it looks like a pretty snug fit into the base).

Harold,

I took the arm with me to the steel supply shop and found the perfect diameter match and had them cut it to length and debur the ends. The column isn't polished, but it is "bright" and certainly not sanded. All three contact points match perfectly....cap, arm and base. It only took about half an hour to dismantle the old column and switch out to the new and reattach all elements once I had the new column and the spliced cable from the hardware store. Could not have been easier. I did no "finishing" work on the column at all.

The fit was perfect and the arm slides up and down as smoothly and as balanced as with the original column, both with a load and without. I've used it with cameras from 35mm up to a Kodak master 8x10 with consistent easy movements at all times.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Lenser,

Lovely. I have a 7' column (probably cut down from 9') that I would like to save, but I'd also like to be able to move the stand through a standard 78" doorway (about 76" with the threshold and trim present. I think that it is time to take a vernier caliper to it and then drop in at the local steel supply.

Thanks.

Some people are bullfighters, CCB's Avatar

Replacement cables are available from Arkay.
    Email Regalarkay@aol.com, attention: Donna.

Cost and s/h was very reasonable.