Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ballhead suggestions

Re: Ballhead suggestions

Caution ... the RRS lever clamp is sensitive to the plate size. Not all RRS plates will work with the lever clamp. Some Kirk plates work, some don't. The knob screw type clamp will work with a much wider variation. If you buy new plates from RRS, phone them and ask if the plates you want to buy work with their lever clamps. Their advice isn't perfect but it's worth a phone call.

I've also had several instances of cameras slipping when I thought the knob was tight. The PhotoClam head I bought later has a larger rubber covered knob which so far I've never had the same problem with.

I second jeroldharter's comment that the Acratech is good especially if you care about weight. If I don't want to deal with the weight of the PhotoClam gear drive head, I use an Acratech.

Jeff Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    I second jeroldharter's comment that the Acratech is good especially if you care about weight.
    Ditto. I am a huge fan of the Acratech heads.

Ian

The Arcatechs are scary looking. What are they exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian David View Post
    Ditto. I am a huge fan of the Acratech heads.

Ian

The "Ultimate" ballhead is the earliest design. Nearly all of models are ball heads which hold the ball in position using a clamp mounted to a "C" shaped frame. The open design is very good at keeping dirt and other things from interfering with the smooth action of the ball. http://www.acratech.net/ The action of the Acratech is definitely smoother than the RRS BH-25 that I have or any of the Manfrotto heads I've used.

I've used both the "Ultimate" and the "GV" with: Canham MQC57, Horseman VHR, & SLRs. The only time I had a problem was with a 1000mm (standard telephoto, 26" long 4kg) lens with an SLR in strong wind. I believe the problem was due to an undersized Gitzo carbon fiber tripod. I haven't been in the same conditions with the new heavier tripod legs (which have a geared PhotoClam Multiflex head on them most of the time).

Being able to effectively use both an LF camera and an SLR on the same tripod is important to me. I use an SLR both as a light meter and for taking pictures for which the LF camera isn't well suited.

Jeff Keller

I got a Z1 a few years ago, with their lever clamp. I somehow broke the lock on that lever in one trip. Ended up not liking that lever anyway. I've replaced the clamp with one from RRS. It is much better, but the Z1 ballhead is fine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    Being able to effectively use both an LF camera and an SLR on the same tripod is important to me.

Jeff Keller
    What tripod do you find suitable for that?

I'm using Gitso 3540LS (no center column) legs. They weigh just under 4 lbs. I've been using a PhotoClam Multiflex geared head most of the time, but I occaisionally swap to the Acratech GV head to save about a pound. The small lightweight head looks a little odd on the fat CF legs but it works well.

The previous legs were Gitzo 1227 with the rapid column (about 2.5 lbs).They worked okay for my Horseman VHR and most of my SLR gear including my 400mm f4 but the long heavy 1000mm lens danced in the wind.

I have L brackets on my SLRs so although I want more tilt than the typical leveling head gives, I don't need to flop the head over 90 degrees to get portrait mode with an SLR.

The 3540 legs work well. If I take the head off they will fit into a suitcase (just under 22") but they get the tripod head up to about 60".

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    What tripod do you find suitable for that?

neophyte

As a happy markins user I can second the comment made higher up about them. I find the small head (Q3 IIRC ) which is about 285g to be more than adequate for 4x5 use.

I choose the arca screw over the lever because of potential issues with plates not fitting, again as discussed above. I have happily purchased the chinese or home made plates off ebay for substantial saving over the name brand plates, and find them just as servicable as the name brand plates that I own. It may be quicker to use lever setup, but you still have to be very sure the plate is properly engaged!
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

jadphoto

Another vote for the RRS BH40 (lever clamp).

Worked great with my Shen Hao and still using it for my Sinar F1.

I also have a BH55 and it's not seeing much use anymore.

The folks at RRS are very conservative with their published weight recommendations.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I might keep using the Kirk BH-1. This stuff is so expensive compared to the cameras and lenses that I really don't have the luxury of upgrading.
    Amen to that. I didn't realize so many others used the Acratech heads. I've used the sub 1 lb. Acratech for my 5X7 for years (on Gitzo Mountaineer), including backpacking. I also have a Acratech QR plate to mount my MF, as well. I just purchased the smallest plate so that I can use my 10 oz. digital P&S on the same tripod!

From the sublime to the ridiculous – recently I saw a Flip Cam mounted on a 40 lb. dollied studio tripod with a hydraulic head.