Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: processed film came out completely blank

Re: processed film came out completely blank

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I'm positive I loaded the film correctly, took the darkslide out, cocked/tripped the shutter, put my socks on before my shoes, etc. And yes, Kodak 8x10 color negatives do have the markings- at least I know 160NC and 400NC do. Sorry Brian-2-Time and Steve. All my negatives have it (It's all I shoot with since loosing Fuji ). And if the lab did fixer before developer, well, I would not be happy. I enjoy sunrises and all, but find it a tad inconvenient to wake up at 5 am to shoot before going to work, all to end up with nothing.

Funny thing is I went out shooting this morning with film from the same box, before I knew about the blank sheets, so we'll see what happens when I pick it up tomorrow morning. I'm also having the head honcho at my lab look at the negatives when he comes in today. I'll keep you all posted.

I'm guessing somethign with the shutter.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by andrewrb View Post
    And yes, Kodak 8x10 color negatives do have the markings- at least I know 160NC and 400NC do. Sorry Brian-2-Time and Steve. All my negatives have it...
    I stand corrected. Thanks for teaching me something new today!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
    If the one that came out has edge markings and the other two don't, then I would say processing error for sure. If non of them have edge markings then your in the territory of might be dark slide, might be shutter or could be processing very difficult to prove which unless you can trace back. Do the lab process the sheets individually or together?

Neil
    Yeah, the one negative that came out has edge markings and the other two are completely blank- just two see-through sheets of beautiful negative. I'll have to ask the lab exactly how they process- thanks I didn't think of that. All they said was they were run in the same batch of chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Odd...

For the two that came out blank, are you really sure that you pulled the darkslide out?

I have had 100% success with Kodak film so I (personally) can't imagine a manufacturing defect like you suggest.
    You are doing much better percentage wise than I. Of course I have taken many images of either the dark slide or the film plenum (forgot to put film in the holder)

and another question(to andrewrb):

Does your lab use DEEP tanks(manual in hangers), or dip-n-dunk processing(automated)? If its the latter, then you shouldn't have any trouble(unless someone hooked up the fixer replenisher cube to the developer line ). If its deep tanks, then the tech who filled the tanks could have put fixer in the developer tank(another !!!)

I just processed a 160nc 8x10 sheet yesterday, and yes, it has the edge markings(along the side, rather than on the top like 4x5).

-Dan

This happened to me once with 35 mm film. Two rolls of color 400 and one tri-x 400.
    I started filling out the film envelopes for processing the rolls at a local drug store knowing that the tri-x would have to be sent out as they only do c-41 at the store.
    The clerk told me I only have to fill out one envelope and he'll take care of the rest.
    I went back 4 or 5 days later to pick up the film and they told me that one of the rolls must have been unused as it came out blank.
    I looked at the blank roll and it was totally blank. No eastman kodak, no numbers, nothing.
    They didn't look at the film before processing, they just souped them all in the c-41 machine. The tri-x was the completely blank film.

d.s.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    and another question(to andrewrb):

Does your lab use DEEP tanks(manual in hangers), or dip-n-dunk processing(automated)?

dip and dunk

but which one? just re-thinking how I worded it, both processes are considered "dip-n-dunk". one's just manually operated .

so is it manual(by hand in the dark), or automated(machine lifts and lowers)?

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    but which one? just re-thinking how I worded it, both processes are considered "dip-n-dunk". one's just manually operated .

so is it manual(by hand in the dark), or automated(machine lifts and lowers)?

-Dan
    Ah, you're getting tricky on me. It's automated.