Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glacier National Park - Autumn

Glacier National Park - Autumn

I only recently realized that Glacier National Park is within a day's drive from my home here in Seattle (in my mind I figured it would take days, until I recently checked the actual mileage). So, I am contemplating a quick trip for just a couple of days, most likely over the first weekend in October.

I have never been before and I do get the impression that things start to shut down pretty quickly after Labor Day, and that Logan's Pass may be closing down soon (essentially requiring you to choose which side of the park to visit).

So, does anyone have experience with Glacier at the very beginning of October? Am I too late?

I'd appreciate any advice on locations too (again, knowing very little about the park) - I'm comfortable with pretty well anything one would consider a 'day hike' (with the understanding that hiking with Large Format gear has never truly been 'comfortable', but I'm willing and typically able).

Many thanks!

Re: Glacier National Park - Autumn

Hmmm. I find Glacier Park tough to photogrpah in some areas. Going to the Sun Road and Waterton areas are great. Other spots are tough for me. I've only been there in summer bu they do say that the whole area shuts down pretty fast after Labor Day. It's really a rugged landscape, and I find it difficult to get to locations where you are visually really close to that ruggedness. But I keep going back. If I could go to only one location for during a short visit I'd go on the Canadian side by Waterton. It's a big place and it's takes a lot of time to travel those distances within the park.

John

Everything in Glacier closes down somewhere in that general time frame, access roads are blocked by snow, etc. I spent a week there in late September IIRC a couple years ago and most things (restaurants, motels) were already closed and the few that weren't were closing that week (I was on the east side because the Road to the Sun was blocked by fallen rocks, maybe things are different on the west side). Someone here more familiar with Glacier than I am can give you better information but I wouldn't drive over there without first knowing that you can access the things you want to photograph and have a way to spend the nights and eat.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you both for the feedback. It's sort of what I feared - I'm likely too late to really have a chance to enjoy it. I'm sure I could manage to get something out of the experience, but perhaps its best to wait for another year.

I'll keep an eye on the situation and welcome others' advice too. Thanks again.

A good resource for you is the NPS site for the park - this has current road conditions and several webcams. A portion of Going to the Sun road (around Logan Pass) is currently closed due to snow. Its possible it could re-open if they get a warm spell, but I wouldn't count on it.

And for what it is worth, if I had to pick only one side of the park I would pick the east side. But I wouldn't cry if it had to be the west side.

Just go. I was there years ago in November and the park was virtually snow free. You, on the other hand, may get two feet of snow - what a photo op! The larch will be glowing. The eagles, bears and mergansers will be grabbing salmon out of the Lake McDonald out-flow stream - standing on the bridge and watching it is better than any PBS program! Just go.
    -Chris

I like Chris's spirited advise, but if the weather turns sour around your departure date you could settle for Lassen NP. Lassen is roughly 500 miles from Seattle; 50 miles shy of the Glacier drive. It's a beautiful, peaceful park.

Chris, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I may just make tentative arrangements and watch the weather as the time approaches. Fortunately, I have the benefit of some flexibility.

Eric, I've made it to Lassen twice before, but just passing through quickly both times (though I loved it!). That's good advice - I would love to go back and spend more time there. It's a great and virtually unknown park.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Also Chris, I had no idea there were Larches in Glacier. I've been in Washington for 2 years now and have yet to see the larches turn color, and one of my reservations about heading to Glacier would be potentially missing a weekend of opportunity here. I'm glad to know I would have a chance of seeing them at Glacier too.
    Last edited by MumbleyJoe; 22-Sep-2010 at 09:12. Reason: Afterthought.

Mumbleyjoe,
    My experience with glacier np was back in the 80's. Just a stopover point on my way to Prince Rupert and back via Tofino. The larch were a revelation - I hadn't realized that other conifers besides my bald cypress lost their needles every year. You live in a glorious part of the world. Enjoy.
    -Chris