Would appreciate your comments on a few questions regarding Kodak Commercial Ektar lenses for use on a 4X5 view camera equipped with a 158mm (6") square lensboard:

1) I purchased a Commercial Ektar 14" lens on eBay and intend to use it primarily for portraiture. Upon delivery, I examined the lens facing a strong light source with the iris and shutter wide open. I observe (i) slight swirl marks or cleaning marks on the face of the outer lens' element and, perhaps more importantly, (ii) I also notice three very small black specs on the face of the interior lens' element. The minute black specs (about the size of a grain of salt; not consistent with the appearance of organic growth such as mold) quite possibly are flecks of the black paint covering the interior sides of the lens barrel (?).

Question: Will the presence of these black specs affect image quality? Is it recommended that I have the lens professionally disassembled and cleaned, in order to remove the black specs and, if so, what hazard is there, if any, in disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling an Ektar 14" lens (made in 1964)?

2) I have read extensively that the Ektar 14" lens is an exceptionally fine lens (and I did pay a premium for it). Are the 10" and 12" Commercial Ektars equally fine in relation to their 14" counterpart in terms of resolution and contrast. For some of my portraiture work, the 14" lens on a 4X5 is going to be too long. Wondering whether I can achieve the same level of image quality with the Commercial Ektar 10" and 12" lenses as with the 14" lens -- or should I go with a different brand?

3) Finally, with regard to the Commercial Ektar 14" lens I mention in question 1 above, I also note that one side of the outer lens barrel has a slight ding on the edge such that it would be impossible to screw on an appropriately sized filter. Does the presence of a ding in the outer lens barrel suggest that the lens is optically compromised in any way? I see no apparent damage to the lens elements other than the cleaning marks and minute black specs mentioned in the previous two questions?

Your answers and comments, I welcome as a newbie to large format.

Thank you.