Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneven development with tanks+hangers

Re: Uneven development with tanks+hangers

I had exact same problems and eventually gave up and returned back to tray developing.

The hanger development should be really good way to develop, but somehow I got too much failures. If there wasnt streaking marks, then the development was uneven.

Tried with Rodinal 1+50 and 1+100, Xtol, Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100.
    Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

hacker extraordinaire

I have trouble with trays too unless I develop one sheet at a time. If I can't get hangers sorted, I will try making some BTZS-like tubes and just give up on DBI.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I have been using 4 up 4x5 hangers for a while and really like them with Pyrocat HD and also replenished Xtol. I have found that following Kodak's recommendations to the letter has worked well. I agitate very slowly–one lift and immersion cycle takes about 15 seconds with a short drain alternating to the front and back of the sheets, not the corners. I don not get surge marks, and only occasionally will get some extra density along an edge. This is becoming becoming rarer as I gain more experience.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Hobbyist

I switched over to tray processing, and have had much better results. I normally process 4 to 6 sheets at a time. Recently most of my work has been with T-Max 100 and 400, and HC-110.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I will try being more aggressive with my agitation. I have been trying to be gentle, assuming that it was overly enthusiastic agitation that causes the mottling, but maybe it's the other way around. I also haven't tried to agitate continuously for the first minute either.
    I've typically found the opposite to be true, and prefer a slow definite agitation over aggressive.

I would suggest doing all things the same except less time out of the tank - I only use tanks for film - same method, but 5 to 10 seconds out of the developer to drain, IME, is a bit long...

With the longer time, I would think, the developer may be 'beading' on the film causing the uneven development, ie. mottling...

Thanks,
    Dan

Slow movement gives local currents ( through holes ) more time to work on image surface, fast too much pressure. Crisp but not overly aggressive movements with NO LAG between inversions will produce minimum marks. Keep that film moving. Don't over look the NGV's. I can look at Fp-4 all day long but it fogs the new t-max 400. Can be used some but think green light style. To keep clean sky I have changed from semi-stand to minimal agitation. 2-3 in addition to initial 1.5 minutes with pyrocat-p 1.5:1:200.

Either I've never had this problem or I've never looked close enough at my negatives, but I've been using hangers for years. I think the key to success is a good pre-soak in plain water (1 - 2 minutes) followed by consistent agitation.

I've always agitated using the method recommended by Kodak in one of their old excellent technical booklets. Continuous agitatation for the first 30 - 45 seconds, then lift the hangers clear of the tank, rotate 90 degrees left. Dip in tank. Lift clear and rotate 90 degrees right. Once each minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hi Ed,

Yes, surge marks seem to occur where the holes are located. That leads me to believe that the holes have something to do with causing them.

However, the holes function to drain the liquids off of film.

I have the feeling that hangers with no drain holes will cause other types of problems.
    You are correct. The metal hangers were primarily used for gaseous burst agitation and caused no problem with any "surge" marks when used properly. When using hangers for for manual agitation one must be very careful to be very slow in pulling the hangers out of the developer so that the holes do not act as fluid nozzles and increase the velocity of the developer at these areas increasing the negative density.

To be perfectly honest, I find using hangers in static tanks a PITA. It is simply too easy to make a mistake. Gaseous burst with hangers - a marriage made in heaven. Otherwise trays and an IR monocle. It really is easy to do and you will easily pay for the IR monocle with the improved results you will experience.