Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Options for a lightweight folding 4x5 Camera

Re: Options for a lightweight folding 4x5 Camera

Tohos aren't all that common used. Badger Graphic, which is a Toho dealer, happens to have a demo FC45x listed at the moment for $895, down from the new price of $1295.

With a bit of patience you can probably find a Wista for $500. Certainly a Tachihara. A Canham will be way out of your range.

There are a lot of wood folders out there that will do the job for you.

I own Woodman and Wista DXs presently and am happy with both. The Chamonix looks intriguing to me as well.

FWIW, the Wista DX (get the one with rear shift, not the DXII with no shift which is a PITA) allows small lenses to be folded up inside it, saving space and protecting the lens. My Woodman, the Tachi, Toko, etc. do not. I'm not sure about the Chamonix.

Choice of lenses and carrying equipment can significantly reduce your load as well.

My backpacking kit is really small; Wista DX w/ Ektar 203 folded up inside, a 135mm Nikkor, a 100mm WF Ektar and a 240mm Fujinon A, six 52mm filters, Pentax digital spot meter, and a slug of Mido holders (I use regular holders for day hikes and take a couple larger lenses in place of some of the above). All this fits easily in a fanny pack, which attaches to or goes inside my backpack. It's ready to go when I get to my destination.

For day trips, I outfit with the above-mentioned fanny pack, a fly-fishing vest for accessories and the meter, and a small pouch for 6 film holders. Tripod goes in a hand or strapped on the bottom of the fanny pack.

Hope this helps some,

Doremus Scudder

FWIW, the Wista DX (get the one with rear shift, not the DXII with no shift which is a PITA) allows small lenses to be folded up inside it, saving space and protecting the lens. My Woodman, the Tachi, Toko, etc. do not. I'm not sure about the Chamonix.
    The Chamonix doesn't, either.

If you do not need rear shift/tilt a Crown/Speed graphic could work. My graphic had a cleaned and reconditioned lens and shutter and it folds up into the box for carrying. I use a Shen Hao HZX II most of the time and occasionally use my Speed Graphic. If sounds like long distance transportation is important and I would look at one of the wood field cameras that completely enclose the billows and protect the camera mechanism similar to the HZX II or equivalent.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

In your price range, it would be tough to beat a used Tachihara or Ikeda. Both are excellent cameras. I have a Tachihara that is still working well after 32 years.

Check the bellows carefully, as neither camera mentioned has an interchangeable one. On a Tachihara, check that the front swing mechanism has not developed excessive looseness.

Neither camera is as sturdy as your Horseman, but both weigh under 3.5 pounds and if treated with a little respect, will last a lifetime.

--
    Rick

Nicolas Belokurov

The other day I've tried my Shen Hao 45 in very strong wind on the shores of Nahuel Huapi, Patagonia, and it worked flawlessly. Actually the only trouble came from the dark cloth- I couldn't keep the damn thing over my head because of the wind (it was that strong). If you tilt well and keep the shutter speed at moderate levels, a field camera holds itself very well.
    I've posted one of the test negatives here (just in case you are curious):
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=66570

Michael E. Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by corgan4321 View Post
    Do the Toho Shimo FC45x cameras ever go cheaply or no? I'm guessing they are way out of my price range.
    I'd stay far away from a Toho. I owned one briefly when it was the lightest and most compact thing around, but the fiddly-ness of the camera is superbly annoying and frustrating. To simply change from vertical to horizontal on the rear standard means partial dis-assembly of the camera. For the same weight and much less hassle and money, I'm still voting on a Chamonix

The Speed Graphics are sturdy and self-storing when used with compact lenses. Check back issues of View Camera Magazine for two articles on slight mods that give these press cameras front swing and tilt. Its not as universally flexible as your monorail, but it is defiantly a rugged package, and inexpensive enough that you won’t feel inhibited about using it in adverse conditions in the back country.

Other options: The Hobo or Photoman type cameras for rally windy locations. There will be no movements at all, but you will be able to get large format images in situations that would forbid the use of any camera with bellows. Hand-held shots are possible (up a tree or at the end of a climbing roap).

Still another option is one of the Polaroid conversions.. While there are again no movements, they pack up pretty small and can almost be a self-contained unit with a Grafmatic on the back. These are designed for hand-held shooting.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Light, sturdy enough to stand up to 20 mph winds, and under $500 are almost mutually exclusive. You can have light and under $500 (used Tachihara for example), you can have sturdy and under $500 (some version of the Calumet C-1 or a similar heavy metal camera), or you can have relatively light and probably sturdy enough to stand up to 20 mph winds (e.g. Linhof Technika V or later model) but under $500 is difficult.

As among the three, I'd suggest not worrying too much about the winds. Even the sturdiest of cameras is going to have a problem with the bellows and dark cloth flapping around in strong winds. So you'll have to carry something to shield any camera from that kind of wind and figure out how to deal with the dark cloth no matter how sturdy the camera otherwise is. Once you don't worry too much about the wind you have a lot of choices in relatively light (my definition of "light" is 6 lbs or less, preferably 4lbs or so) cameras that are sturdy enough for normal usage and cost under $500 used.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moore View Post
    In your price range, it would be tough to beat a used Tachihara or Ikeda. Both are excellent cameras. I have a Tachihara that is still working well after 32 years.

Check the bellows carefully, as neither camera mentioned has an interchangeable one. On a Tachihara, check that the front swing mechanism has not developed excessive looseness.

Neither camera is as sturdy as your Horseman, but both weigh under 3.5 pounds and if treated with a little respect, will last a lifetime.

--
    Rick
    I "second" Rick's suggestion. I often backpack with a used Tachihara that I bought cheaply off of ebay many years ago. It folds with a 135mm Symmar (not an "S") lens attached. In that configuration it is smaller and lighter than a Crown Graphic with a similar focal length lens. Plenty of movement but not a lot of bellows extension (more than the Crown Graphic though). I'm not sure if this is typical but mine has a plastic ground glass which is pretty much indestructible. So when it is closed up the lens is protected and the entire package is quite rugged.

Henry