Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help on 4x5 Camera choice. :)

Help on 4x5 Camera choice. :)

Hello! As of now I do not have a Large Format Camera, YET. And I plan to remedy that this coming November. Based on my research on the net (not that extensive) it looks like the camera that fits my wants (and budget, below $600 hopefully) are the Speed Graphic and Crown graphic. I know the basic difference about them, like no FP Shutter on the Crown. Also, I think 4x5 is the biggest I will go (I know that is like "small" format compared to the other LF sizes). But can I do wet plate collodion on them? It looks difficult, but I want to try it. There are kits that I can buy at bostick-sullivan. I am not a pro photographer, all I want is to experience using these wonderful cameras and for me, very cool processes. I will be using this for portraiture, but not indoors. Portraits of people in their environment. As for landscapes and still life, that would be like 10% of what I shoot. The film I plan to use would be Fujiroids, and I believe I have no problem using those via the proper film holder. So is the Crown/Speed (leaning more towards the Crown) the right camera for me? Or is there something a bit better for my needs that I can get for $600? If there is something a bit above that price range, I can save up for it until December. I am in no hurry. Thank you and good day to all!

Re: Help on 4x5 Camera choice. :)

Are you planning on hand holding large format? If not buy a view camera, not a press camera. Then you can learn what large format can really do. Back tilts and swings let you control the shape of the subject and control the plane of sharp focus. Front tilts and swings let you control the plane of sharp focus also. But they do not allow you to control the shape of the subject.
    They most also allow you to use a larger range of lenses, larger lenses and perhaps get greater magnification, depending on how much bellows they have.
    Used view cameras can also be in your price range but they might not be foldable.

I will most likely use it with a tripod. Aren't view cameras bulky? I don't mind that they cannot be folded. But I need to be able to put them in a bag or something, because some of the people that I plan to take a picture of involves taking quite a long hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Cocoon View Post
    I will most likely use it with a tripod. Aren't view cameras bulky? I don't mind that they cannot be folded. But I need to be able to put them in a bag or something, because some of the people that I plan to take a picture of involves taking quite a long hike.
    Some fold like a Graphic and some are monorails.

If you are partial to folder cameras take a look at the Toyo 45a-- a nice rig for thigh burning hikes into Mother Nature.

I have an MPP (folding press type camera made of metal with a rotating back and some limited movements) and also a Sinar monorail. Since I picked up the monorail it goes everywhere with me as it is much more versatile for me personally and there is not much difference in the overall weight. It also fits into a bag which I can carry over my shoulder, but if it is just for portraits and occasional landscapes I imagine a Graphic would not be too bad if a wooden folder is out of your price range.

I would forget about the wet plate until you learn how to shoot negatives consistently. You'll probably want a different camera to shoot wet plate. You could do it with a modified 4x5 but it's not ideal and the liquids can make a mess of a camera not designed for it.

You can get a whole lot of 4x5 for $600. Personally I'd get a cheap camera and a good lens.

A wooden 4x5 of the clamshell type is actually quite light---much lighter than most medium format camera. Look at Wistas, Tachiharas, etc... but if you want cheap, Graphic View & Calumet 400 monorails are what I'd look for if you're not planning on shooting too far from the trunk of your car.

If you want a Speeder or Crown Graphic, the Supers have a lot more movements to play with than the older earlier models plus they are handholdable.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

PS I would avoid a speed unless you anticipate shooting with older lenses. You don't need to pay for a working focal plane shutter unless you are actually going to use one. A Crown is a lot more compact a camera.

Oh. So wet plates stain camera? Are they realley "wet", or when you apply the chemicals on the plate they dry up? I'll take a look at the graphic view and the Calumet. The Toyo is quite expensive. What specific models should I look at? Yeah, the Crown is where I am leaning at right now.