Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: [www.betterscanning.com] Film scanning mounts, any good? Your experience and advice??

Re: [www.betterscanning.com] Film scanning mounts, any good? Your experience and advi

Don, the depth of focus clearly does depend on ones standard. I plotted the resolution as a function of distance from the platen for my V750 pro a couple of months back and put the plot in a previous thread. I added a copy above (I hope). Note some astigmatism with the scan direction but there is more DOF at the 10 to 12 um range than I would have expected. Of course this is only relevant for my machine but I suspect that most recent 750s' are quite similar.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Re: [www.betterscanning.com] Film scanning mounts, any good? Your experience and advi

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    I thought the scanner glass was ANR glass? I believe it is in mine. No rings that I know of.
    My Epson 4990 sure doesn't have it. Maybe your Epson does? I didn't think any Epsons came with it out of the box but I could be wrong.

My 4990 doesn't have ANR glass either. I have gotten plenty of Newton's rings.

Sorry...didn't mean the scanner glass. The holder glass. I believe the holder glass on the dry mount better scanning holder is anti-newton. I'm not sure about the wet mount.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Almost? I guess it depends upon ones standards.

Don Bryant
    You do not seem to understand what I said. I see it has been explained better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post

Don, the depth of focus clearly does depend on ones standard. I plotted the resolution as a function of distance from the platen for my V750 pro a couple of months back and put the plot in a previous thread. I added a copy above (I hope). Note some astigmatism with the scan direction but there is more DOF at the 10 to 12 um range than I would have expected. Of course this is only relevant for my machine but I suspect that most recent 750s' are quite similar.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Thanks Nathan, that's why I use the Better Scanning adjustable film holders.

Don

Thanks Nathan, that's why I use the Better Scanning adjustable film holders.

Don
    I'm not sure I understand. Nathan makes clear there is an area of about 0.5 mm where focus changes very little. What that has to do with BetterScanning holders escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Nathan makes clear there is an area of about 0.5 mm where focus changes very little. What that has to do with BetterScanning holders escapes me.

Maybe I'm just being picky but:

1) I like my film to be as plano parallel as possible. BS holders provide that capability better than Epson OEM holders. You used the word 'almost' which rivals the word 'reasonable' for vagueness, but in the context of your post I don't agree that almost is okay or acceptable.

2) I do not like cropping my film which the OEM holders do. I attempt to compose to the very edge of the film. I like seeing the rebate in my scans. So for me OEM holders are inferior in two major ways.

3) There aren't any OEM holders larger than 4x5. So for 5x7 we have to use the wet film holder (either dry or wet). Over the years I've determined that purchasing the BS option gives me a productivity boost (compared to The Epson solution.)

4) For portfolio work I drum scan, even so I like getting maximum quality from Epson flat bed scans.

Don Bryant
    Last edited by D. Bryant; 21-Sep-2010 at 04:41. Reason: Double Signature

Maybe I'm just being picky but:

1) I like my film to be as plano parallel as possible. BS holders provide that capability better than Epson OEM holders. You used the word 'almost' which rivals the word 'reasonable' for vagueness, but in the context of your post I don't agree that almost is okay or acceptable.

2) I do not like cropping my film which the OEM holders do. I attempt to compose to the very edge of the film. I like seeing the rebate in my scans. So for me OEM holders are inferior in two major ways.

3) There aren't any OEM holders larger than 4x5. So for 5x7 we have to use the wet film holder (either dry or wet). Over the years I've determined that purchasing the BS option gives me a productivity boost (compared to The Epson solution.)

4) For portfolio work I drum scan, even so I like getting maximum quality from Epson flat bed scans.

Don Bryant
    You miss the point completely. Hi ho.

Remember to take out the trash

Quote Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
    You miss the point completely. Hi ho.
    I think he meant that with Epson holders and supplied spacers you might or might not be at the 0.5mm sweet spot. If not, you're SOL, or have to use your DIY spacers. With BS holder you have more room to adjust and more precision, so you are sure to be able to reach the sweet spot.

Or perhaps I missed the point(s) as well