Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Questions

hacker extraordinaire

Re: Newbie Questions

I live in Dallas; what music festival am I missing out on? Just wondering. I wish you luck. Flashbulbs sound like fun!
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

You are most welcome. Best wishes for a good time and good pictures at your festival.

It's the Mike Blakely Fandango. Here's a link to the event page<http://www.mikeblakely.com/Fandango.htm>. Mike is a great singer/songwriter/author and puts together a nice event. You may recognize some familiar Texas players on the bill. There should be some great scenery in the area.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Exercise the shutter at every speed several times to be sure that every speed is working properly. If the shutter is sticky PM me and I will see if I can help you.

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I did give the shutter a good bit of exercise and I think it's OK. Being very careful, I was surprised how much (as the owner's manual states) "extra effort" is required to overcome the booster spring at 1/400 speed setting. Bulb and Timed functions work as they should. The side shutter release does feel like there is some resistance in the little cable to the lens release. It is not a "hair trigger" by any means. The cable looks to be free of any kinks or damage. Is there any maintenance or cleaning needed for this?

neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by PhotobyTMR View Post
    I did give the shutter a good bit of exercise and I think it's OK. Being very careful, I was surprised how much (as the owner's manual states) "extra effort" is required to overcome the booster spring at 1/400 speed setting. Bulb and Timed functions work as they should. The side shutter release does feel like there is some resistance in the little cable to the lens release. It is not a "hair trigger" by any means. The cable looks to be free of any kinks or damage. Is there any maintenance or cleaning needed for this?
    Its quite a spring to get that "fast" speed [dont believe that it is actually 1/400th: real life its going to be 1/300th on a good day].
    FWIW all the Crowns I have used [4 or so], have been like that with the side release. I find it hard to get a smooth release using the side release and tend to use a cable release in the shutter. It is yet another thing you have to look after though.
    Best of luck.
    "In the field of observation chance favours the prepared mind" -- Pasteur

Thanks, Brian, for that input and to everyone else for the expert advise and warm welcome. I'm hopeful that this will work out for the better. I have put a lot of time in bellows macro 35mm work and am getting the bug again with the big camera. Way different- the 35mm was all TTL metering. I'll consider the first outing a success if a few scenes show up on film!

A brief follow-up: The weekend was a rainy one with bad light, and ....... I forgot the flash sync cord at home! I managed a few still life shots of boots and guitars, and hope to have those processed this week. The whole experience with the camera was a hoot and it drew comments from "haven't seen one of those in years" to "what is it". Film loading/unloading went well. I look forward to using it whenever I can. The next outing will be better.