Thread: New from Texas

New from Texas

Greetings all,

Just getting into the large format arena with a 4x5 Newton New-Vue. I was wanting to shoot with a Polaroid 405 back first but that is proving to be impossible. I have the 405 pack back but it will not slide all the way though on the camera back.

I picked up the New-Vue with 2 lenses, a Besler MX 45 ii with a Zone VI cold head, and a bunch other odds and ends from a friends Dad who had it sitting in a closest for years.

I'm wondering what would be a good, but not too expensive 4x5 camera body to purchase where I could use my lenses, and ground glass? I really want the option to shoot with the Polaroid back and the New-Vue isn't going to cut it.

Chris

Re: New from Texas

The Cambos or Calumets are readily available and inexpensive. Not the early Kodak Master View design Caluments, though; a fine camera but the backs may not open enough for the polaroid. I had to add spacers on my Master View to accept a polaroid back leaving very weak spring pressure for regular film holders.

Re: New from Texas

I use a Cambo 45 series and am well pleased with it. Look at how the springs are attached on your New View's back...its been a long time since I looked at one, but if the springs are held on by a screw you may have a quicker option than a new camera: on several view cameras with spring backs I took out the screw and put in a spacer under the spring to give it more room to hold a thick holder like the Polaroid 405...had to replace the original screws with slightly longer ones, too...just make sure you don't use a spacer so big that it makes the back too loose with standard holders. get to shooting, and welcome to group therepy!