Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: INDIA - where to buy 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

INDIA - where to buy 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

Well, as the title says: I'm looking for places to stock up on color negative 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

I'll bring around 350 negs myself, but if I need more - where do I go?

thanks a lot. oh, and super recommendations on where to find the most compact cityscapes, heaviest industrial areas, largest bridges etc etc is most warmly welcomed

I'll be in India for two months with a big itinerary...

Re: INDIA - where to buy 4x5 film in Delhi and Mumbai

I'm not sure if you can find 4x5 film easily in India now. Everything seems to be digital! I had a hard time getting 120 color negative film about a year ago.
    In Delhi, try Mahatta and Co. http://www.mahattaimaging.com/ Mahatta will also process your film.
    In Mumbai, Photokina near Girgaum/Chowpatty Beach. Kakubhai at Photokina is a great guy. He'll ply you with chai, and help you out with most anything related to photography. Deepesh Bajaria of Nikhil Enterprise in the Fort area has great service, and will deliver film to your hotel, usually on the same day. Pheroze, the owner of Mazda Imaging in Byculla, runs a Kodak Q-Lab, and though they've cut down on film processing, do a great job.

There are quite a few security-related issues with photographing bridges and similar structures in India, so be prepared to be questioned and hustled off. Look up the new Bandra-Worli Sea Link bridge in Mumbai. Likewise, be prepared to be questioned in industrial areas. Thane-Belapur is the industrial hub of Mumbai. Within the city, except for some government buildings, there aren't too many problems, except having curious onlookers gathering around you. You should have someone help you with crowd control
    PM me if you need more information.

Kumar

thanks a lot, Kumar! I really appreciate your info.
    would you consider the quality of the labs you mention to be on par with labs in Japan, EU og the US?

I'll probably send a PM soon with further questions, thanks I can imagine the thing about crowd control to be very crucial, haha.

I don't know about Mahatta, never having used them. Mazda is a Kodak Q-Lab, and I used them for many years when I was in India. I had no significant problems.

I'd be happy to help.

Kumar

To hijack for a second, as someone heading to India for a few years, I've seen a bit of old photo equipment coming from India on ebay--field cameras, hand-and-stands, Rolleiflexes, etc. Is it easy to find such antiquated stuff over there?

Most of it is from people who discard their parents' belongings after they pass on, or after they move from smaller towns and villages to the cities. There is a dealer network, but most equipment goes straight to other dealers within or outside India, or is sold through eBay.

Where will you be living?

Kumar

Hyderabad

I'm afraid I don't know much about Hyderabad, though I have family there. The older parts of Hyderabad and Secunderabad are the most likely places where you'll find the established camera shops. Summers are brutal, but the biryani is great!

Kumar

Hi... resurrecting this thread, cause I just got my camera body stolen on the train to Hyderabad.

So I DESPERATELY need a new 4x5 camera body in order to continue my work here in India for the remaining two and a half weeks of my trip.

Any advice on where to go in Mumbai or Hyderabad greatly appreciated, thanks. Lease or rent preferred, unless I could get a good deal on something Linhof.

/lars

btw.... I have tried PMing you, B.S. Kumar, but somehow it doesnt go through. If you have any knowledge of suppliers, second hand camera shops, friends in mumbai willing to rent their 4x5 body, whatever... please let me know, thanks