Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions: Machine Shop Services

ARS KC2UU

Suggestions: Machine Shop Services

Greetings:

I have an old lensboard 100 x 100-mm with a 65-mm cutout. Fits my Burke & James 4x5-inch monorail.

I need the hole enlarged to 70-mm and threaded.

Doesn't need to be race-engine precise but requires more precision than I can do in my basement.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop that can do this simple machine work for me?

I live in the NYC area and would be preferable (but no essential) to find someone in the East. Although I could UPS it anywhere in the US.

A simple task with the right equipment.

Thanks to anyone with suggestions. Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Re: Suggestions: Machine Shop Services

Sounds like a job for SK Grimes in Woonsocket, Rhode Island- see their website. Not cheap but very good.

I'm lucky enough to have a very dear local friend who is a brilliant machinist and has done numerous small tasks like this for me. Based on my experience with him, something as simple as your task should be an easy fix for any reasonably competent machinist. Just check the yellow pages or call up any local metal supplier for a good recommendation. One thing though, he or she will need to see the lens in order to measure the thread pitch and count unless you can find that info on line.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Any of the camera repair people can do it and I wouldn't pay over $30. Grimes will want 2x.

Just send it off to Camera Wiz 800-471-8133 in VA or Essex or PCW or....

A box of Krispy Kremes for your local High School metal shop instructor ought to get 'er done!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Any of the camera repair people can do it and I wouldn't pay over $30. Grimes will want 2x.

Just send it off to Camera Wiz 800-471-8133 in VA or Essex or PCW or....
    Thanks Frank. I'll check them out.

Cheers. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Thanks for all who answered. I found a local machine shop that was able to do the job. A bit costly but I could drop off and pick up without mailing so that made it convenient. The shop was in the same development where TPI is located where I have my film developed. So overall the extra few dollars cost was probably worth it.

I'll keep these others in mind for future work. Cheers. Bob G.

I had a similar experience with local machine shops: they are convenient and willing to accommodate "one-offs", but they clearly recognize that whoever wants some custom work done for a fancy camera, can pay a high hourly rate.

I can't find it now, but I recall that somebody recently posted photos illustrating drilling a large hole in a board by:

1) Drawing the desired hole on the board with a compass;
    2) Drilling several closely spaced small holes up to the edge of the compass line;
    3) Punching out the slug and smoothing the points between the holes with a dremel tool.
    4) Finishing the hole smoothly with drum sander chucked in a drill press.

Anyway that is what I thought the poster said, and that process worked pretty well for me. (Actually it gave excellent results.) Except that I don't own a dremel tool and I used a rat tail file instead. The less said about how I did that, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by aduncanson View Post
    I can't find it now, but I recall that somebody recently posted photos illustrating drilling a large hole in a board by:

1) Drawing the desired hole on the board with a compass;
    2) Drilling several closely spaced small holes up to the edge of the compass line;
    3) Punching out the slug and smoothing the points between the holes with a dremel tool.
    4) Finishing the hole smoothly with drum sander chucked in a drill press.

Anyway that is what I thought the poster said, and that process worked pretty well for me. (Actually it gave excellent results.) Except that I don't own a dremel tool and I used a rat tail file instead. The less said about how I did that, the better.
    May have been me, I know I've detailed this method here on this forum before, but don't remember if I included pictures or not.