Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista 45DX vs. Shen Hao (with a 90mm lens)

Wista 45DX vs. Shen Hao (with a 90mm lens)

Hello again,
    first, let me say that I really really appreciate the very thorough answers to my newbie questions in my previous threads. I will be using a 90mm lens for (landscape) architecture, probably shooting for a Schneider 90mm 5.6 Super Angulon. I am thinking of a Shen Hao, or a Wista 45DX. The Wista seems to be available at a very decent price on the auction site. What would be your advice? Oh, and what are the differences between the different Wista 45DX versions?

Re: Wista 45DX vs. Shen Hao (with a 90mm lens)

I have never used those two cameras, but you will need a very flexible bellows to take advantage of the 90's IC. A normal bellows won't do-it bunches up, on some cameras a "universal bellows" will usually work if available-like on my Phillips, but an interchangeable "bag bellows" (I hate taking the time to change bellows and always tried to find cameras/bellows that would work without changing bellows) is best. The old 4x5 Tachihara with lambskin bellows would work, a 4x5 Calumet Widefield would work even with a flat lensboard and some of the newer cameras like my 4x5 Phillips with the universal bellows work without changing belows.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

There is no problem using a Wista with lenses down to 75mm. Depending on the model Wista does have an interchangeable bellows on some of their wood field cameras and all of their metal technical cameras. Those models can easily handle even wider lenses.

I have posted this before on the Forum. It is a few years old and does not include the Quince wood model which is the latest camera from Wista and some Wista models listed are no longer in production. As I also announced earlier in the Forum, the maker of the die castings for the Technical models went out of business and the tools were destroyed so once current inventories of the Technical cameras are sold out they will be discontinued.

Bob,

That is a useful summary. There are two details I would point out about the Canham 4x5. 1) It is really a 5x7 camera. 2) It does not weigh 272 Oz (17 lbs), but 2.72kg, or 96 Oz.

- Alan

Bob,
    thanks for that list. I know the Wista DX will focus with 75mm lenses, my concern is with movements with the 90mm lens. Since the DX doesn't have exchangeable bellows it is pretty important for me, whether the leather bellows will allow enough shift (and, sometimes, tilt) with eg. a Schneider 90mm f/5.6. I really feel like getting the Wista, but if a bag bellows is necessary, I guess I'll have to go for a Shen-Hao of some sort.

If you're going to be using a 90mm primarily then a Shen Hao TFC model would siut you best - light, nonfolding, and should give you acres of movement with a 90mm with no problems. I think all the recent ones come with bag bellows as standard.

Lachlan 717

I use a Shen Hao XPO with both a SA 90mm f5.6 and a Schneider 72mm. The former works fine for most movements as it uses non-tapered (Sinar) bellows. It will focus beyond infinity with the 72mm with limited movements. It would be better on a recesses board, but my fingers are too big for one if these.

Another benefit of this camera is the ease of getting a bag bellow as Sinar and Horseman bellows fit.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I have two Wista 45DX cameras that I use for most of my field work. I don't have any experience with the Shen Hao, but here's my take on using 90mm and 75mm lenses with the Wista DX (I have both 90mm and 75mm lenses).

First, with a 90mm, you will want a smaller f/8 version, like the SA f/8, not the larger f/5.6 or f/4.5 models. And, you will want to mount it on a recessed lens board. This will get you movements out to the edge of the image circle of a compact 90mm (which, admittedly, is smaller than their larger counterparts). A larger 90mm will simply not mount on a recessed Technika board due to its size and will, therefore, have limited movements due to bellows limitations. The f/8 versions of 90mm lenses in a Copal 0 shutter barely make it in the recess of a Technika board (I have to use the end of the cable release to set aperture and shutter since my finger won't make it in the recess...).

A 75mm lens on a recessed board will also give you some movements. In this case, the f/5.6 versions are usually mounted in a Copal 0 or equivalent size shutter and fit in the recess. Same story as above for setting and coverage (I can easily vignette with my Fujinon 75mm f/5.6).

That said, if your primary focus is going to be architecture and you are anticipating needing lots of movement, your best bet will be a more flexible (read monorail) camera and lenses with wider coverage. The Wista DX is primarily designed for field work, at which it excels, and can also be used for a lot of architectural work, albeit with a bit more hassle regarding limited coverage and movements.

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

Hi Doremus, thanks for that. So the problem with the larger 90mm lenses is whether they will fit a recessed lensboard or not? I was thinking of a 90mm 5.6, but I guess I could go for maybe a Rodenstock 90mm 6.8? There is a 90mm Super Angulon on a recessed Linhof lensboard on the auction site. Here the lensboard had been modified to take the shutter release. Maybe that is a way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by hnaa View Post
    Hi Doremus, thanks for that. So the problem with the larger 90mm lenses is whether they will fit a recessed lensboard or not? I was thinking of a 90mm 5.6, but I guess I could go for maybe a Rodenstock 90mm 6.8? There is a 90mm Super Angulon on a recessed Linhof lensboard on the auction site. Here the lensboard had been modified to take the shutter release. Maybe that is a way to go?
    90mm 5.6 lenses are in 0 shutter and fit the Linhof/Wista recessed boards. The Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 does not fit the recessed board and will have to be used on a flat board.