Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a hat?

Re: Anyone use a hat?

I second the Tiley as both a people and lens shade, but I usually use a compendium for the lens--it can't be beat.
    Mike

Is it just me or does a baseball cap worn under the dark cloth hold up the cloth? Keeps it out of my eyes when I move my head back to look at the entire gg.

I second the Tilley as a hat. However, I often use a small black umbrella as either a wind break and sometimes as a lens shade also. If the exposure is long, I am also holding the cable release and a stopwatch. So anything that gives me another hand to work with is useful. I usually use a compendium because of that, but I picked up one of these which looks useful. Have not tried it in the field yet. It holds the darkslide for you, but you need something to clip it on, either a hotshoe or a metal edge:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...w_FB99XXL.html

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I second the Tilley as a hat. However, I often use a small black umbrella as either a wind break and sometimes as a lens shade also. If the exposure is long, I am also holding the cable release and a stopwatch. So anything that gives me another hand to work with is useful. I usually use a compendium because of that, but I picked up one of these which looks useful. Have not tried it in the field yet. It holds the darkslide for you, but you need something to clip it on, either a hotshoe or a metal edge:

I use the clips on the back of my Graflock when I use the Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I use a baseball hat and have plenty of out of focus baseball caps in the corner of my photos to prove it.
    Mike

Yup. Most of the time, itʻs to keep the rain off the lens.

I like a cowboy hat. Big brim, stiff enough to use in a breeze. Easy to use with a camera on a tripod. No lens shade to make it harder to adjust shutter speed, aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Hats, dark slides, hands, whatever, are fine for keeping direct sunlight from striking the lens. They're not so fine when the light is diffuse. For that you need a compendium shade.
    Even with a coated lens?

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post

How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Even with a coated lens?
    Yes. Most lenses have image circles far larger than the film area. All that extra image circle is illuminating the inside of your camera and bellows and fogging your shadows. Even if it's cloudy. You would never accept that much stray light in your darkroom, or wherever you load your film holders.

Using a shade for every single picture is a huge pain, but it's made a noticable difference in the quality of my pictures. Actually, a positive side-effect of the nuisance factor is that I am less likely to waste time and film setting up the camera for a marginal picture that will never get printed.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com