Thread: Hello from NYC

Hello from NYC

I was thrilled to find that large format shooting is alive and well with such a great website and a forum of so many active members. I look forward to learning and hopefully sharing what I learn with others.

In many ways I feel like my introduction should be like an AA self-help group, but instead of alcohol being my problem, digital photography is my issue. I want to return to my film shooting roots and delve even deeper into film with larger and larger formats. I recently purchased a used Contax 645 and have been enjoying the slower and more thoughtful shooting that comes with working with film.

After viewing some breathtaking work by a few amazing film photographers on flickr, I decided that I wanted to move up to LF and my search for information about 4x5 field cameras brought me here. Hopefully I'll have one soon so that I can get out and shoot. I can't wait, but with the extensive number of brands of camera and lenses, and the range in the condition of used equipment, I want to make a smart purchase, hopefully with all of your help. I look forward to meeting all of you in these forums...

Steven

Current Gear:

Leica M9, Canon 1ds II, Canon 5D II, and Contax 645.

www.stevenwuphoto.com
    Last edited by f1point0; 22-Aug-2010 at 17:26. Reason: additional information

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Hello from NYC

Welcome to the dark side!

The force of the dark slde you cannot resist!

Steve
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Welcome Steven, from a fellow New Yorker and LFer.

just north of you in kingston NY.

several of us get together and shoot most sat. pm me for details. all are welcome.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Welcome to group therepy! As you progress, you'll have lots of questions and you will probably be able to get many answers here. At least, we'll all have an opinion and some of them are occassionally right!

Thanks everyone!

Well, I was checking craigslist yesterday and there was a Speed Graphic listed very close by to my house. The camera looks to be in fair condition and hopefully it's useable and in working condition. The price seemed OK to me based on recent ebay auctions - $160. The camera was the seller's father's, and she said that he would be happy to show me how to use it, so in essence I was paying for a camera and lessons

I'm really looking forward to taking this beast out for a spin. I downloaded the manual from online and I've been playing with the controls and trying to get familiar with the camera. So far I think I prefer focusing using the ground glass.

In my heart I really wanted a Linhof Master Technika, but my head won over and I think this Speed Graphic will be a good first step in my progression with LF photography.

I'll post some pics of the camera soon...

The Speed will serve you well; later you can add a Linhof and you'll be better prepared to exploit its additional features...but that speed has one thing no Linhoff has: a focal plane shutter that allows you to easily utilize barrel lenses.

Welcome, Steven.