You know what I hate? When my Carbon-Fiber B1-b bomber gets cold and it shatters over Afghanistan. I much prefer my Wooden aeroplane.

Seriously, I use a lowly Tiltall but I've owned some of the CF tripods too. Carbon-Fiber is not like your everyday plastic. I can't rationalize investing in the CF Gitzo I prefer, but I have no doubt they are the ultimate-best, and the Chinese knock-offs are awfully good as well.

I will concede that putting a heavy camera on top of a spindly flyweight tripod puts things off balance and is more of a compromise for those seeking weight savings above everyday practicality, but if you anchor or weight the tripod as recommended and per the laws of physics, then why not go that route for backpacking situations?

There are some fairly ridiculous posts from photographers who say they put their 8x10s on tiny Gitzo 12xx-series tripods. Which might work if you only make level shots between 22- to 48-inches high. But the second some wind comes up or you tip the camera down or try to shoot over the tops of the weeds, I think you'd having troubles. A better match is the 13xx-series for moderate 4x5s and the 15xx-series for 8x10. Those aren't going to blow away....

I wouldn't blame stupidity and lack of judgement on Carbon-Fiber... after all I've seen plenty of people attempt to use 4x5s on their metal $29.95 Promaster Coast Walmart tripods.

I'd love to see an example of a cold- or otherwise shattered Carbon-Fiber tripod.