Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for all you Grafmatic owners

A question for all you Grafmatic owners

I have two Grafmatic film holders that appear to be in very good condition. However I have experienced fogging of a couple of images ususally about images 2 and 3. 1, 4,5 and 6 are fine.

I would have thought that if I had a light leak all the films would be fogged but I am losing two.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thank you

Adrian

Re: A question for all you Grafmatic owners

Bent septa?

Is that with both Grafmatics, or only one? Do you have difficulty shuffling the holder that would you dislodge the holder?

This is puzzling - in all my years using Grafmatics fogging has never occurred with two in the middle. Can you scan some negatives so we can see?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    Is that with both Grafmatics, or only one? Do you have difficulty shuffling the holder that would you dislodge the holder?

This is puzzling - in all my years using Grafmatics fogging has never occurred with two in the middle. Can you scan some negatives so we can see?

Mike
    Sadly not - in my annoyance I consigned them straight to the bin. It happened with both my grafmatics. Luckily I have found a great service man in the UK so have decided to send them to him for checking, cleaning and replacement of the light traps. Then I will try again. If they still leak then its operator error.

It is surprisingly easy with some cameras to slightly disturb the fit of the Grafmatic and let some light in as you shuffle the film. Try this - pinch the ground glass frame to the rear standard of the camera and hold it tightly closed as you operate the Grafmatic.

My guess is Henry is right. So long as they don't get locked up (always caused by a sheet slipping a little out of the septum) I have never had a light leak of any size, and I use them in direct sun. On some backs, it isn't that hard to pull the back just slightly off the camera when cycling the handle. Make sure you are tucking the dark metal tab out of the way before you put the septums in. Good luck.

I used to use grafmatics a lot, as long as they are shuffling well, it should not light leak. Things to check for, missing screws (they're small), cracked edges, usually from being dropped at some time. And lastly, the light trap felt material around the back of the camera.

When you run them through, they end up in the same order, so a small light leak could fog the same plates over time. Check the screws on the main case cover near the bail handle.

Wayne

I will go along with the suggestions that you are likely moving the Grafmatic as you move the dark slide or shuffle the film. I had a similar problem getting light leaks with mine. I was operating them vigorously to firmly move the septums.

My solution was to use the Grafloks to hold the Grafmatic firmly in place while operating the dark slide. Problem went away. There should be a groove in the sides of the Grafmatic that are designed for insertion of the Grafloks.
    al

Its also possible with some cameras to insert the Grafmatic almost completely but not quite fully seated. You think its OK but then later you see something odd on the film. If you had your darkcloth draped over the camera it might be only a little fogging or a little smear of light. You will likely see some focus problem too.

Try the Grafmatic empty and inserted into the camera and carefully inspect your procedure. Is the Grafmatic seated fully? Am I moving it enough to let light in?

If you are using it on a camera with a Graflok back by all means use the slides.