Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Issues when printing large TIFF file

Re: Issues when printing large TIFF file

Quote Originally Posted by SAShruby View Post
    So if I want to print 24x60" print at 300ppi, I need to resize final image to 7200x18000 pixels, am I make any sense here?

Would this image size somehow interfere with print spooling if I choose to print it on 23x9.2 inch only?
    Yes, that is correct. But since you are now talking about output, the resolution setting is also important, and based on your information should be set to 300. Generally, for output, I do not worry too much about the pixel dimensions (as long as I know I am not up-rezzing drastically) - I just work within the "Document Size" section. In the Image Size dialogue box, I check the "resample" enter my output dimensions (24" x 60") and enter the resolution (300), and select the bicubic option.

I agree with Gilbert above that, for many images, 240 is fine for resolution.

But I would think that you should be fine printing a 24x60 image at 300 ppi. The only problem I would expect is if you computer is underpowered and chokes trying to render the image. If you previously had your image resolution at 1440 (34,560 x 86,400 pixels) then your computer will have a much easier time processing the image at the new output size.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Resolution (i.e. 300 ppi) is meaningless for an image until you talk about output.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Yes, that is correct. But since you are now talking about output, the resolution setting is also important...
    I thought we were talking about a specific print size right from the start when the OP mentioned printing a 23"x9.2"x1440dpi file. That's why I rambled on without repeating the physical dimensions. I'm aware that ppi is meaningless without also considering dimensions.

Peter

Peter - I was referring to comments like this "So my files are typically saved at 300 ppi" and "I save my files at 300 ppi because I can. If hard drive space were an issue I would save them at 240 ppi.".

Resolution in a saved master file is meaningless - only the actual pixels are of consequence. Except for convenience in the case that you always print at 300 ppi, in which case it is one less number to type in when printing.

Cooke, Heliar, Petzval...yeah

My original file was 45436x18175 pixels. Downsized to 16560x6624. Printed like a charm. In my opinion, too much dpi for amount of ppi. Epson printer was unable to spool file.
    Thanks everyone.
    Peter Hruby
    www.peterhruby.ca