Thread: New from New Mexico

New from New Mexico

Greetings from the land of enchantment.

I have had a great misguided passion for photography since I was young. Finding a dusty, old Crown Graphic 4x5 that belonged to my late grandfather changed that. I had no idea what it was, but knew he was a portrait photographer, and figured it had something to do with photography. I took it to the local camera store in Albuquerque and found out that the black box actually opened! Since that day, I have been entranced by large format photography.

I shoot with my grandfathers Crown Graphic and a Calumet 4x5 view camera (the old workhorse one) and follow an all dark room workflow. I love shooting portraits and landscapes. I have recently begun attempting still lifes and that has proven to be most challenging.

I must say that I have been reading posts on this forum for years, garnering information and inspiration from so many masters of this medium. I pass along a very big thank you from a young (fairly young... 32), new LF photographer.

I really appreciate all of the wonderful technique and images shared on this forum, and find great influences and encouragement. Thank you.

-Kind regards,

JB

P.S. Now, if I could just find out where my grandfather's 8x10 camera is that went with the 8x10 film holder I have from his belongings...or better yet, his negatives.

Re: New from New Mexico

Welcome to group therepy, JB. Good luck digging thru Grandfather's stuff...no tellin' what ya might find! Attics and basements often yield remarkable treasures!

Welcome from one New Mexican to another!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A warm Welcome from yet another, fellow 'New Mexican'...

A wealth of information, and impressive photographers abound...exceptional forum...IMO

Thanks,
    Dan

Hi,

My name Jan and I have been a New Mexican for 20 months now. They say I don't have to go to the meeting any more. As long as I stop at stop signs and don't cost the corners.

Welcome
    Jan Pietrzak
    Just a bit north of ABQ

Vick: Thank you for the welcome. All of his belongings have been redistributed, so unless an aunt or uncle somewhere comes across something, I doubt there will be any more treasures, unfortunately. I do hope that nobody throws away anything important. I can just see someone finding a box of 'plastic reversed pictures' and tossing them. It is sad that a lot of fanstastic equipment we use and value can have the appearance of 'junk'.

Kirk: Thank you. I very much admire how you portray New Mexico in your photography. Wonderful.

DanK: Thank you. When I think of all the hours (and film and paper and chemicals and...) that I wasted (even unsuccessful photos are still priceless if you learned from them) when I was trying to learn things on my own, I cringe. The forums have proven to be a great resource for allowing me to know more and improve by leaps and bounds.

Jan: Haha! The only real decision you need to make as a New Mexican is: red or green? Glad to have another LF photographer in NM. Welcome to the land of enchantment!

Welcome from Pagosa Springs,Co across the line.