Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which bag?

Which bag?

I forgot to mention the size of the back pack is 16" wide, 10" front to back, and 16" tall. Without polaroid back or wine, all my gear fits in a space 10" tall. This leaves room for food and or rain coat.

Which bag?

I recently went through this same issue, having decided that photo backpacks did not meet my requirements. I live in coastal South Carolina, and I spend a lot of time on beaches and in wet environments. I wanted a bag I could access without putting it on the ground/water/sand. I also wanted a bag that would stand upright when placed on the ground and load from the top (vs. a backpack that has to be laid flat on the ground and when open is subject contamination with sand, water, etc.)

I finally selected a Crumpler bag, after having the opportunity to look at them in a side-by-side comparison with LowePro, Tenba, Domke, Lightware and others (at a large photo store in NYC). These are all great bags, but the Crumpler really met my specific needs.

Crumpler bags are messenger-type bags that can be comfortably carried over the shoulder for ready access, or over the back, similar to a backpack. Crumpler has a number of photo inserts for their various sizes of bags; the inserts are well padded with movable dividers, and a zippered closing top for dust/water protection.

The bag and photo insert I bought holds Ebony 4x5 (folding model), 4 lenses, bellows focusing hood, light meter, loupe, filters dark cloth and various other stuff(lens paper, roll film, Ebony lens shade device). I do not use sheet film, but since you're carrying just 2 lenses, I'm sure there would be room.

Crumpler has a very informative (and humorous) web site: http://www.crumplerusa.com. Good luck.

Which bag?

Paul, I have found that I can fit the Ebony in either a trim trekker or an orion trekker. In the latter case the camera plus attached lens, darkcloth will fit in the rucksack part and the accessories plus spare lens, meter will fit in the part designed for a camera. This is a compact answer and my preferred choice for short day walks.

Best regards

Dave

Which bag?

Don't forget to look at Billingham as well, they have a few satchel- style models. (I use a Lowepro Mini-Trekker backpack) /?ke

Which bag?

I use a common small backpack with a Domke insert. My Super fits nicely next to the insert with ballhead and short tripod column attached, and I can pull it out and have it setup in seconds. Everything else goes inside the insert; Meters, filters, lenses, magnifying glass, log etc. The film holders go in a waist belt pack or in the backpack. As Dee said, look for the right pocket setup. My other setup is a Lowepro Classic, but it is harder to take off and get into although more comfortable for longer hikes. I don't like anything that goes over one shoulder as it will inevitably cause a quickly fatiqued shoulder, and on some hill or rock hikes you'll be scraping it on the ground as you'll need both hands.