Thread: Convert to Web Colour Shift…

Convert to Web Colour Shift…

Dear Group,

Just a note to those of you that use Photoshop, where you may not realize that a colour shift exists while saving a web based image within CS3, possibly CS4, and CS5. I cannot verify whether the last two applications have this default setting, since I do not have either installed.

This CS3 colour shift issue drove me nuts, because I designed my website with CS2, and because I am currently designing a stripped down version of my website for a friend and confidant painter, the colour shift became very apparent. The colour shift is very subtle, but the shift is strong enough for anyone to see that a new Photoshop web page slice has a different colour. I brought the website into Dreamweaver, because Adobe decided not to support GoLive, and I was forced to use CS3 without realizing that an inherently checked default setting was in play. That said, CS3 automatically sets the web based file with the following default assignment: "Convert to sRGB." You want to turn this default setting off by unchecking the setting with a simple mouse click, and then save the setting.

To access this default setting and permanently changing this setting, do the following, as illustrated in the attached files:

1. open any image in Photoshop;

2. initiate File > Save for Web and Devices… ;

3. click on and open up dialog box by pressing the triangle beside the preset option drop down menu;

4. uncheck the "Convert to sRGB" option;

5. save your settings…

Unchecking this default setting will allow you to set any profile you desire going forward for web based images without a colour shift.

I hope this helps a few of you going forward.

jim k

Re: Convert to Web Colour Shift…

Jim

It is my understanding that due to the untold differences in monitors and such, srgb is recommended colour space for web as it is one of the smallest colour spaces and unlikely to change much when viewed by other people.
    When it looks good at your end in srgb then those viewing is should see your intentions.

Yes / No ??

Bob,

That's my understanding as well. I don't use the "save for web" process. Instead, I resize the image, <edit><convert to profile> to sRGB. I then change the mode from 16 to 8 bits per channel. Finally, I sharpen the image before saving it as a jpg.

I suppose if I were doing lot's and lot's of web pictures, that this would be tedious, but for the small number I do, it works fine, and it gives me some control, such as over the rendering intent used.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Dear Bob,

I agree that sRGB should be the default setting for many monitors, possibly allowing a user to see the intended colours, barring any monitor crap that the user sets manually compared to a calibrated monitor, nor would this issue be a Mac versus PC monitor difference.

CS2 did not have the default sRGB setting, and I converted my Photoshop slices to sRGB manually to obtain the 72 pixels per inch screen value. CS3 creates this sRGB value by default, and the sRGB conversion within CS3's "Save for Web and Devices..." creates a very different sRGB colour, compared to CS2 manual method...

So, unchecking the default in CS3 allows you to create the sRGB value manually, and obtain the correct sRGB colour balance for the web, when you change the slice to sRGB in CS3 making the Photoshop slice the same as a CS2 sRGB value.

Try it...

jim k

This is a known setting and has always existed. Only people who work in non sRGB discover it. Drove me nuts some years ago.

But now more browsers are colour managed, it can make a difference if you save web images with a profile. But those without colour managed browsers get sRGB assigned by default and those with monitors which can only display the sRGB gamut can only see that, so its pretty pointless saving anything for web other than sRGB optimised images unless you are targetting users where you know their system capabilities.

Note: In older versions of Photoshop the setting to use is "uncompensated color".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I don't use the "save for web" process. Instead, I resize the image, <edit><convert to profile> to sRGB. I then change the mode from 16 to 8 bits per channel. Finally, I sharpen the image before saving it as a jpg.
    This is the workflow I use as well.

Bruce Watson