Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a 9/240 G-Claron as enlarging lens

Drew Wiley

Re: Using a 9/240 G-Claron as enlarging lens

Dan - I was referring to the last generation of G-Clarons, which are modified
    plastmats much like Fujinon A lenses, and not dagor design. In fact, I was told by a
    Schneider rep that the final Kern dagor lenses were discontinued because G-Clarons
    were superior as taking lenses in every respect: coverage, sharpness, and high quality images all the way from close-up to infinity. Well, on the one hand I totally
    agree with him, but ... there are those times only a dagor is a dagor!

Drew, this thread is drifting. I'll say it again, although both types of G-Claron work well as taking lenses, Schneider didn't sell them as taking lenses.

About Dagors, my friend Eric Beltrando has calculated their performance from published prescriptions. He's done the same for Boyer Beryls, which are very very similar; he's suggested to me that Boyer's designer Suzanne Levy-Bloch may have lifted the prescriptions from Goerz patents. Anyway, he calculates that the claimed coverages for f/6.8 dagors are wildly optimistic.

Drew Wiley

Dan - I still have official Schneider literature in my files advertising G-Clarons (newer style) as studio taking lenses, not for graphics. The specifications sheet, however, is very conservative, and give angles of coverage as if they were meant
    for process or closeup work. That is why, when used for enlargement, I would prefer a relatively long G-Claron, like a 250, for 4x5, because you'll get the very best performance at the center of the field. But through testing I found that Apo-Nikkors
    are actually superior for enlargement, provided one works within a certain
    magnification range. My experience with dagor-design lenses is limited to the very
    last of them, the Kern series. I owned both the MC and single-coated versions of the
    14" length. The tangential MTF and closeup quality is certainly not as good as the
    plasmat-derived G-Clarons or Fuji A's of similar focus length, nor is the coverage.
    There are obviously other qualities I prize these lenses for, however, but none of
    them relate to use for enlarging.