Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: When will a new Mac Pro arrive?

Re: When will a new Mac Pro arrive?

I was wrong about the number of DIMM slots, the duel cpu macs have 8 DIMM slots.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    I like how apple talks about all the new technology such as the integrated memory controller on the CPU... As if the same technology hasn't been out on windows computers for a year.
    They aren't trying to sell the computer to Windows people, they are trying to sell it to Mac people and are giving them a reason for upgrade. The status of windows computers is irrelevant to the sales pitch.

I use two powerful desktops daily; a dual CPU Xeon (8 cores total, 8GB) Dell, and a dual CPU Xeon MacPro (8 cores total, 16GB), similar vintage. They cost about the same (actually, I think the dell might have been more expensive, but we bought the memory from Dell but 3rd partied the Apple mem, so that is likely why) and perform very similarly both in CPU power and in things like quietness, etc. The Mac has a small edge in case design; I prefer its cable-free drive carriers. But those are more like comparing Apples to apples (heh). Comparing some off-brand 8 core CPU machine with a crap case and components to a MacPro is definitely comparing Apples to something else that isn't equivalent. If one were fond of Windows, I generally like the Dell and use it heavily every day with Win7x64. But it sure as hell ain't cheap.

Dell ... you gotta be kidding.

I fix computers around here. I build my own because I use them for three years then pass em' on usually to my daughter. They need to run for 6 years at least ... and do. I got an 10 year old Athy 800 still out there doing fine for a friend.

I guess the Dells are no worse than the HPs I have to fix but they are not a quality item. They just coughed up I believe 100 million in fines for their capacitor fiasco. I would not recommend a Dell.

The capacitors were a problem for the G5 macs as well... Seems like a lot of bad ones around that time.

I understand Pauls point about windows people and mac people. It does seem like there is a learning curve to windows, but I don't really know, the last windows OS I used was XP. I assume things have gotten better in the last 10 years... At least I hope so.

As for the computer case issue... Thats one of the reasons why I am building my own. I do like the option to select each part for quality and performance. There are many fine computer cases out there that will help with cable management issues and offer extremely nice cooling.

Of course with a mac everything is done for you so you don't have to worry about making decisions regarding components.

Sounds like the next apple case will really be something though... They bought up the rights for that cool "liquid metal" alloy... When are we going to see some cameras made by this stuff?

The company (liquid metal technologies, http://www.liquidmetal.com/) has another cool metal that if dented will return to its original form after being heated.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

New MacPros announced today.

apple.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    New MacPros announced today.

apple.com
    I ordered mine Monday!