Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pt/pd and fluorescent safelight

Pt/pd and fluorescent safelight

According to BostickSullivan re: Platinum/Palladium Printing - "All work can be conducted under normal tungsten or fluorescent lighting" (See http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=49 )

I was trained to avoid flourescent lighting for pt/pd printing, supposedly due to UV radiation emitted from flourescent lights.

So can Pt/pd be done in fluorescent lighting or not?

This is not just an academic question -- I am considering using red industrial flourescent lights in my new darkroom ( http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...SEF40T12.R.htm ) .

Re: Pt/pd and fluorescent safelight

I have incandescent lighting in my home darkroom.

But I took a workshop in Pt/Pd printing several years ago that was conducted in a space with fluorescent lighting. Not a problem.

Scott Davis

I would be ok with fluorescents if they were a sufficient distance from the coating/drying area. I do know they make UV-blocking films you can put around fluorescent tubes which will cut down 90%+ of the UV output, so if you can keep the tubes more than a few feet away from the coating area, and apply the uv-blocking film, you should be fine.

We are closing out the 2 pieces of the Kaiser Duka 50 Sodium Vapor Safelight (formerly the Osram Duka 50) for $75.00 if that would help you. See http://hpmarketingstore.com/index.ph...dex&cPath=9_23

Pity you don't ship to Canada.
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post

So can Pt/pd be done in fluorescent lighting or not?

It really depends on the kind of fluorescent light in the room, on its proximity to the sensitized pt/pd material, and how long the material is exposed to the light. Some fluorescent tubes, Daylight type for example, radiate some energy in the UVA range and can fog coated pt/pd paper if they are located close enough to the paper for an extended period of time.

I personally coat and dry sensitized material for alternative printing in a room illuminated by a 100 watt yellow bug light. This provide plenty of light and can be left close to sensitized material for a long period of time with no fogging.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    It really depends on the kind of fluorescent light in the room, on its proximity to the sensitized pt/pd material, and how long the material is exposed to the light. Some fluorescent tubes, Daylight type for example, radiate some energy in the UVA range and can fog coated pt/pd paper if they are located close enough to the paper for an extended period of time.

I personally coat and dry sensitized material for alternative printing in a room illuminated by a 100 watt yellow bug light. This provide plenty of light and can be left close to sensitized material for a long period of time with no fogging.

Sandy
    OK what the hell is a bug light

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Light made by lightning bugs. You catch a bunch of em, and put them in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    Bug lights are lights with a yellow filter that one uses outside. Insects are not attracted to these lights as they are to regular lights. They come in many flavors, tungsten, spiral fluorescent, floodlights, etc. etc. Here is one flavor.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109394979

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    Pity you don't ship to Canada.
    Regards
    Bill
    We will ship these to Canada. But you would have to call to do that. 973 808-9010