Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you scan?

Re: How do you scan?

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I am confused by this comment. One of the main features of the Betterscanning holder is that it has small nylon screws that one can use to adjust the height of the holder over the glass plate to place the film at exactly the right focus. Does your holder not have these nylon screws?

Sandy King
    When I scan using the betterscanning holder using epson scan on a v700 it often is not recognised correctly and I end up with 3 6cm strips instead of 1 4x5 scan. I used to be able to fix that by resetting epson scan to its defaults but for some reason that no longer works for me, it always thinks the betterscanning holder is medium format and I end up with 3 thumbnails. So, if I am using the betterscanning holder for a wet mount, then I use vuescan. Mostly I just use the epson 4x5 holder with epson scan because it is less work, most of my scans are only 700 spi. Probably the fault is mine but I can find no way to pick what format holder I am using, other than to choose which 6cm format you are using, 6x4.5 6x6 6x7 6x9 etc. Perhaps I should upgrade my software or, horror of horrors, read the manual.

David

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    When I scan using the betterscanning holder using epson scan on a v700 it often is not recognised correctly and I end up with 3 6cm strips instead of 1 4x5 scan. I used to be able to fix that by resetting epson scan to its defaults but for some reason that no longer works for me, it always thinks the betterscanning holder is medium format and I end up with 3 thumbnails. So, if I am using the betterscanning holder for a wet mount, then I use vuescan. Mostly I just use the epson 4x5 holder with epson scan because it is less work, most of my scans are only 700 spi. Probably the fault is mine but I can find no way to pick what format holder I am using, other than to choose which 6cm format you are using, 6x4.5 6x6 6x7 6x9 etc. Perhaps I should upgrade my software or, horror of horrors, read the manual.

David
    David,

Did you see the previous message about the professional versus the home and auto modes of Epson scan? Perhaps this is why you are having trouble with the application recognizing the format. I scan everything in the professional mode and have never had any problem with format recognition.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

No, I am using the professional screen, basicly doing exactly what Ken recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    No, I am using the professional screen, basicly doing exactly what Ken recommends.
    Then there must be some kind of quirk in your software or operating system. I have used the Epson scanning application for years with several different computers and scanners, including the V700 now, and have never had a problem of the type you describe. But perhaps I did not understand you? When I make a scan in the professional mode I first do a preview, and then I define the exact area that I want to scan. That is, I don't want or expect that the application recognize the format since it is so easy to do that after the prescan..

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Now that I think about it it only started with Windows 7. I do a preview and where I used to get a large area including the betterscanning holder, from which the scan area could be selected, I now get medium format strips as individual preview thumbnails, as if I was using an epson mf holder. Nothing I can do will make it change its mind, everytime I do a preview of a 4x5 with the betterscanning holder, it spits out some mf previews. I beat my head against the wall for a morning and then just changed to vuescan for the betterscanning holder. I dont mind because with the latest vuescan, one can do a raw scan and then do the software adjustments that epson scan does in a black box, seperateley. So if you are not happy with the way a scan turns out, you can just redo the adjustments without having to rescan the negative, and that makes sense to me because I use the betterscanning holder to make bigger, time consuming scans. In any case, I doubt anyone cares and neither do I. This is way off topic. The original poster is trying to work out how he is going to do his scans.

David

Have you placed the Better Scanning holder in the correct orientation ?

(I have done it wrong more than once. I ended up placing some white tape on the scanner and the holder, so that I don't have to remember).

I am positive it is oriented correctly and I have just tried again by reseting epson scan to its defaults. Image size before I preview is set to the transparency scanning area size, after I preview it is set to MF and it will not allow me to manually change the original document size. Screen shot attached. Whereas Vuescan gives me a wonderful scan in which I can see the structure of ice crystals, crop attached. I like epson scan in every other respect though.

How about unchecking thumbnail?

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    How about unchecking thumbnail?

Jon
    Thank you for that. Problem solved. Perhaps I should read the manual sometime or just get some common sense.

David

Just to be fair, here is an equivalent crop from epson scan.