Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Re: Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Oh yes...then there was the time when a researcher I knew at a local medical school phoned me and said "better come get this stuff, before it goes in the dumpster." "This stuff" consisted of a complete Nikon Multiphot system (with all the amazing lenses, condensers, backs, etc.) plus a pristine Beseler 45MX. I did put the Multiphot to some good use doing macro with 4x5, and I recently cannibalized the beseler for its motorized lift...which is becoming a motorized base for a DIY horizontal enlarger. Best thing about this is the knurled flywheel, which makes a wonderful fine focus...and well within arms reach. But for pure quality and rigidity, nothing beats the Multiphot!

Biggest "steal" you ever made...

Biggest "steal" I ever made was convincing my wife to marry me. She definitely married down.

Ok besides that, recently: Just got a Nikon FM2 body in beautiful shape off eBay for $20 plus shipping. Didn't have a rewind knob handle. That was an easy fix by salvaging off a Nikon junk 2002 body I got in a box of parts.

Before that was a Nikon F3HP for $15 "shutter jammed". Took all of an hour to fix that after I got it in the mail.

Also a Nikon F that I bought for the 50mm f/1.4 lens. The F didn't work and the metal finish is kind of worn. $50. F worked fine except for the meter, which I took apart and replaced the screw that holds the electrical contacts in place.

Before that was my Nikon FE which is my favorite. "Does not work" read the ad. Problem was a poor battery connection. $10 and 30 minutes to fix. Came with a 50mm f/1.8 lens.

So all the sudden I have a bunch of nice Nikons for about the price I paid for an Olympus OM-1 12 years ago.

Outside of photography, I ended up with a (if bought new) $60k lens centering station and some other nice equipment including lab grade optical tables and a precision micro lathe all for less than $1k. A local optical shop owner has already asked if I'll center some lenses for him so it'll pay for itself (won't be hard lol).
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Sorry, But I cannot resist: A few years back, my ex found an old Nikkormat, with a well-worn black finish and a mid 60's vintage 50mm 1.4 lens - in her local dump's metal recycling bin! The meter was inoperable, and I found the middle of the image field to have a strange optical anomoly...which turned out to be a cracked mirror. Otherwise, all worked well, and I lent the Nikkormat to a student - who went on to do great things with it before returning to her home country of Estonia - with the camera! Turns out that this student and the old Nikkormat had become inseparable, so I presented it to her as a graduation gift.

I got a black, early 1930s Leica with a rare Hecktor 50mm lens cheap once, because it was labeled "Lica." Another indicator of a clueless seller was when it arrived in a taped up shoebox, with the loose camera rattling around inside. Still using that camera.

This kit for free

The Leicaflex SL2 was jammed and deemed "unrepairable". I "fixed" it by banging it for 20 minutes with a big candle.

And a Linhof Master Technika kit, with a Symmar 150 and a Super Angulon 75 and two Super Rollex and just about everything else needed to shoot for 400 EUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Pali K View Post
    I have had many great deals but nothing like the deals here. I would consider many deals of mine a bargain but I finally got one last weekend that fits here. I saw an add on Craigslist for a free 4x5 Omega D2 enlarger with accessories located 5 miles from my dad's place. I emailed the person asking for pictures and they simply responded saying it's all in boxes but the whole darkroom is there.

I had my dad pick it up and it included the following major items:

8x10 Contact Printing Frame (needed one)
    Microsight Grain Focuser (way better than mine)
    Omega D2 Aristo Cold Head
    Omega E-99 Timer with foot pedal controls
    Omega D2 Enlarger (condensor included)
    Aristo Contactor (not sure what this is)
    Omega Variable Current Balancer
    8x Loupe
    11x14 4 blade easel
    2 sets of darkroom filters
    4x5, 6x6, 35mm holders for enlarger

+ 20 some odd items that all seem to be accessories for the enlarger and darkroom printing tools.

It took me 30 minutes for a deep clean but everything is in perfect working order.

Even though I have a Beseler 45mxt, this omega will be my primary choice. The thing is built like a tank.

Pali
    I saw that one also. Glad it found a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by towolf View Post
    This kit for free

I "fixed" it by banging it for 20 minutes with a big candle.

Whatever possessed you to even THINK that would work. Obviously it did...but that idea wouldn't have even shown up in my top 100. Or even 10000.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Well, that was my "ultima ratio" only after a LOT of research and conversing with Leicaflex expert Doug Herr, taking out the self-timer to no avail, seeing that the bottom plate nut was stripped, etc.

Then I found a very old 2001 Usenet posting in a German Leicaflex group and one guy described my exact problem. He was about to put it onto (early) eBay as a "parts donor", when another guy came up and asked if he had tried the "Gummihammer Methode", the rubber mallet method. I found that poignant and since I didn’t have a rubber mallet I used the candle. Eventually it clicked and worked fine from then on. At least until other problems appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by towolf View Post
    Well, that was my "ultima ratio" only after a LOT of research and conversing with Leicaflex expert Doug Herr, taking out the self-timer to no avail, seeing that the bottom plate nut was stripped, etc.

Then I found a very old 2001 Usenet posting in a German Leicaflex group and one guy described my exact problem. He was about to put it onto (early) eBay as a "parts donor", when another guy came up and asked if he had tried the "Gummihammer Methode", the rubber mallet method. I found that poignant and since I didn’t have a rubber mallet I used the candle. Eventually it clicked and worked fine from then on. At least until other problems appeared.
    Fonzi!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am not fond of 'stealing' or buying from thieves. Chicago is a bar town and often thieves drop in to sell. My Local throws them out and tells them don't come back. Ever.

Sure I have found bargains, as I prefer to call good deals. I have found them right here in our nearly extinct FS listings. The seller often knows what it once was worth and is glad to sell at a loss to a user.

I think we all consider eBay sellers fair game. So be it.

I am not saint, but there is a limit to 'stealing'.

I have found a few people selling for way under value on Craigslist or through my 'grapevine'.

I will advise value and pay MORE than asked to the proverbial little old lady selling her dead husband's junk, when I see gross under assessment of value.

Not every person is aware of market value, and some really need the money.

Don't steal and don't buy from thieves.

+1000!

I may pay more, but I sleep better.