Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Petzval Lens Use

Lachlan 717

Re: Petzval Lens Use

Quote Originally Posted by Blumine View Post
    If the lens has a Waterhouse slot, what about sticking the ND filters in there?

Blumine
    Aside from any optical issues this might cause (of which I have no idea), I'd suspect that you'd end up scratching the sh#t out of the filters doing this...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    You don't mention the size film you'll be working with. If you're planning on using your petzvals with 4x5, you could pick up a speed graphic.

Dan

Dan: My plan is to use 4x5 film... or mayby (and just a slight maybe) 120 roll film with my Sinar Panorama film back. All on my Tachihara. Or I could use the old monorail Burke and James I've got stored away.

Over the years I've heard a lot about the old Speed Graphics. But I don't really understand your point. Didn't these old press cameras use copal (or Alphax) shutters very similar to what we use today? Or was there a behind-the-lens shutter system available for use with them. If so that would be an interesting solution which did cross my mind. Cheers and thanks for your thoughts. Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Blumine View Post
    If the lens has a Waterhouse slot, what about sticking the ND filters in there?

Blumine
    It does have the slot. But the only type of filter that would fit would be gel filters. And as another poster mentioned, Would be difficult to do without scratching them to death. Would have to cut them to the right diameter also which would ruin them for any other use. I do have one of the darkest ND gel filters ever made. Can't remember the number on it without it in hand since I haven't used it in a couple years. But it was 7 or so stops if I recall and I used it a number of times over the years for very long exposures in full daylight.

Bob G.
    All natural images are analog. But the retina converts them to digital on their way to the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    Over the years I've heard a lot about the old Speed Graphics. But I don't really understand your point. Didn't these old press cameras use copal (or Alphax) shutters very similar to what we use today? Or was there a behind-the-lens shutter system available for use with them. If so that would be an interesting solution which did cross my mind. Cheers and thanks for your thoughts. Bob G.
    The older graphics, e.g., Speed and Pacemaker, have a focal plane shutter just ahead of the film. Check http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/pac...d-graphic.html for instance.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by cblurton View Post
    The older graphics, e.g., Speed and Pacemaker, have a focal plane shutter just ahead of the film. Check http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/pac...d-graphic.html for instance.
    Thanks for the update. I also found a reference to the focal plane shutter of the old speed graphic in another thread with a google search. So now I understand. As a trained microscopist there are accessories that also are used in the back focal plane where they do not interfere with the image. A great idea and I'm sure the focal plane shutter was a good solution at the time.

I'll probably not go that route though as I don't already own a speed graphic and never thought about looking for one before. And I understand the shutter speed is about 1/25 sec or so at the fastest. Would be helpful but not in the ballpark of where I would like to go.

A few others mentioned the Sinar shutter and I'll look it up to see what their maximum speed is. I could probably fit the thing behind the lensboard of my vintage Burke and James monorail... and make a good excuse to get the old monster out of the closet and dust it off. But knowing Sinar I'm betting the shutter is pricey....

Cheers. Bob G.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    I'm planning some future demented experiments with a Petzval in broad daylight using APHS litho film and an orange filter behind the lens. The litho film is very slow as it is, and an orange filter should slow it down quite a bit more.

I think I can get exposures long enough to use a lens cap.
    Since lith film is sensitive only to blue light, and red is invisible to it, I suspect you will either get no image or the exposure time will not just be long, it will be exorbitant.
    I use the film with some regularity with no filter, especially with wide open soft focus lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    I'm planning some future demented experiments with a Petzval in broad daylight using APHS litho film and an orange filter behind the lens. The litho film is very slow as it is, and an orange filter should slow it down quite a bit more.

I think I can get exposures long enough to use a lens cap.
    I suspect you will get no exposure. Lith film is blind to red, and even more so to orange, and sees only blue light. Blue and orange are complementary colors.

I use lith film very regularly with my soft focus lenses and have n trouble with good exposures using a Galli Patented Shutter.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by rguinter View Post
    I'll probably not go that route though as I don't already own a speed graphic and never thought about looking for one before. And I understand the shutter speed is about 1/25 sec or so at the fastest. Would be helpful but not in the ballpark of where I would like to go.
    No, a Packard shutter has only the 1/25 and time exposure choices. The Speed Graphic shutter goes from 1/1000 of a second to 1/30. While certainly not "period-correct", it's probably the most practical solution for using a Petzval with modern film, providing your Petzval will fit on the rather small-ish lens board.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I suspect you will get no exposure. Lith film is blind to red, and even more so to orange, and sees only blue light. Blue and orange are complementary colors.

I use lith film very regularly with my soft focus lenses and have n trouble with good exposures using a Galli Patented Shutter.
    APHS litho film is orthochromatic, and should be sensitive to blue, green, and part way into yellow. I have already used it with a yellow filter and it increased my exposure times about 3X. The filter was a Sunpak Y2, and is sort of greenish yellow. I'm basing my experiments on a book I have, published in 1906. It describes how to make an orange filter for taking cloud photographs with the glass plates available then. Most were blue sensitive only, a few were orthochromatic.

ARS KC2UU

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    No, a Packard shutter has only the 1/25 and time exposure choices. The Speed Graphic shutter goes from 1/1000 of a second to 1/30. While certainly not "period-correct", it's probably the most practical solution for using a Petzval with modern film, providing your Petzval will fit on the rather small-ish lens board.
    Mark: Thanks for the corrected info. I'll have to look into that more closely.

If the speed graphic shutter speeds were that high then the concept would certainly work with the idea I have in mind. Cheers. Bob G.