Thread: Jobo 2551 - 2561 tank sizes.

Jobo 2551 - 2561 tank sizes.

Hi, I have looked everywhere to find the exact dimensions of some Jobo tanks. But nothing, other than sizes for chemistry quantities, came up.

I found a Jobo Duolab processor a while back and I really like it. The Duolab originally came with a 1520 Unitank for 35mm and 120 film, with a special lid that has a wider cog than used on CPP and CPA. I have that tank and the lid. It runs fine on the Duolab, using only the near rollers located in the water jacket basin.

As an option for the Duolab, Jobo sold the 2850 paper drum, also with a special cog on the lid. I have both too and this drum works really fine with 5x7" negatives. For the moment I can only process two 5x7" negatives at once, because when I insert four, they sometimes overlap while running the machine, leaving parts of the covered negative undeveloped. I guess I need a few of the small stops Jobo no longer includes with their paper tanks to separate the negatives when trying to do four. But those are hard to find. This tank is 28 cm's long (without the lid) and runs really smooth on the duolab using both the near and far rollers in the water jacket basin.

My Jobo 2521 tank and 2509n reel, however, bounce around wildly on the Duolab. I do use the lid from the 2850 since this tank has the same diameter as the 2521, so the cog on the lid is the right size. But the tank's diameter is just too small (or too wide) for the Duolab's rollers, depending on whether I put them in the high or low position. I have also tried using just one roller. Sometimes it works, but more often it does not. The tank just jumps around on the drive wheel. I have to push it down constantly or lift the tank a bit at the back for it to run smooth, but then I am causing too much friction on the motor, slowing it down severely and making me afraid of damaging it.

Basically I am looking for a solution to run a tank long enough for the Duolab that takes a 4x5 reel. Without the lid, the tank should a least be 25cm tall to run on both roller sets. I do not mind if that means I have to use two 2509n reels and more chemicals. As far as i can see both the 2551/2553 and 2561/2563 film tanks are possible candidates. I would prefer to buy the shortest one though. But I can not find how tall these tanks are without the lid. I'd be very happy if someone here could chime in.

Sorry for being long-winded, but maybe there are other solutions to this problem.

Cheers, Maurits

Last edited by maurits; 6-Jul-2010 at 09:53. Reason: Sloppiness

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Jobo 2551 - 2561 tank sizes.

Maurits,

I have the 2563. Without the lid, it stands 11.25 inches or 28.58 centimeters tall and will hold 2 - 2509N reels requiring 730mL of chemistry.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that sure helps! This means that the 2561/2563 will fit the Duolab. The bottom tank part is probably the same as the 2850. Now if the 2551 would be about 25cm's, that would be great...

Thanks, Maurits

I guess I need a few of the small stops Jobo no longer includes with their paper tanks to separate the negatives when trying to do four. But those are hard to find.
    Just to try to assist here. Try using a bit of plastic tubing with a slit, the tube should be around 1 inch long and it would probably help if the slit was slightly wider on each end to help you push it on the runners.

The plastic tubing could be polythene of a suitable diameter or from something harder like a ball point pen case or electric cable indulation etc. as long as it it fairly flexible when opening the slit to push it on the runners.

I have tried the above method to keep the sheets of film or paper in place and it seems to work OK. But please run a test first!

Sorry I cannot help with the diameter of tanks.

nn
    Last edited by numnutz; 7-Jul-2010 at 07:27. Reason: fut fengers and grap speeling

Quote Originally Posted by numnutz View Post
    Try using a bit of plastic tubing with a slit...
    Great idea! I am going to try this because I am sure it will work. Thanks, you clearly are neither numb nor nutz...

Cheers, Maurits

The 2551-tank-body (just the „big black tube”) is 23.9 cm tall.

georg

Quote Originally Posted by georg s View Post
    The 2551-tank-body (just the „big black tube”) is 23.9 cm tall.

georg
    Many thanks, Georg. That is exactly what I wanted to know! This means that the 2551 just fits on the Duolab and I could develop 12 sheets of 4x5 in 560ml of developer. Now if the Jobo 600ml (3370/3371) bottles screw on the tank lid like the 270ml bottles that came with the Duolab do, I'd be all set...

Cheers, Maurits

As an FYI; I found that Omega Brandess have these separators for sale in twelve packs @ $28.09 each. Part number is JP95522 we have 3 packs left on hand. Once they are gone they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by maurits View Post
    I guess I need a few of the small stops Jobo no longer includes with their paper tanks to separate the negatives when trying to do four. But those are hard to find.
    Cheers, Maurits
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com