Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question about forum guidelines

Re: A question about forum guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    What do you mean by "unsubscribing?" Are you referring to an RSS feed? Or? I am unaware of any other way to "subscribe" to this forum.
    What I mean is canceling membership.

The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak.

Surely there must be a way for a member to do that on his/her own?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    What I mean is canceling membership.

The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak.

Surely there must be a way for a member to do that on his/her own?
    If they can perma ban you they can delete your account.

Perhaps you can get them to do that.

If I were sick of the place and it's inhabitants I'd leave and never return. The fact that you have not done that speaks to a wider agenda. You started this thread for reasons that are still not clear to me, or perhaps anyone here.

Let's not jump into conclusions, shall we? If you think there is more to it than meets the eye but you don't know what it could be, it is likely because you were not meant to know. Or perhaps there is nothing more to it. Either way, prodding is totally useless.

But I have to disappoint you - there is no conspiracy and there is no agenda.

All I am doing at this point is asking simple and straightforward questions in the hope of getting equally straightforward answers. Whether I decide to leave or not depends on the kind of answers I get. Or not get, for that matter.

Whatever the case, I certainly hope there is a better and more civilized way than the honky-tonk way.

What I mean is canceling membership...The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak...
    I suspect the moderators are able to do that. It's simply a matter of "unregistering" you. There's a long history here, following the precedent set when we were part of LUSENET, that copyright to you posts is yours. Therefore, if you wish to not only end your registration but also have all your existing posts deleted, you can advise them of that too and they'll take them down. I don't know whether vBulletin software has changed, but seem to recall that the latter action is a manual, post-by-post process which would take much longer to complete.

...I certainly hope there is a better and more civilized way than the honky-tonk way.
    ???

You just fire up phpmyadmin, or it's equivalent and delete whoever from the data base. It's quick and easy. You are a web guy you should know that.

You may be looking for something more formal though. A divorce perhaps.

Thanks for the explanation, Sal. I'll have that in mind. Sounds a bit clunky, could've been done with a button-click, but I guess when it comes to that it doesn't matter, it's a one-off type of thing by its nature anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ???
    A honky-tonk way of taking an exit is to cause trouble to get thrown out - walk up to the bouncer and slap him across the face, or something along those lines...

...A honky-tonk way of taking an exit is to cause trouble to get thrown out - walk up to the bouncer and slap him across the face, or something along those lines...
    No need to do that in this case. In fact, unless you want your posts deleted, I don't know what is gained by "unregistering." At the User Control Panel (reached via "My Settings" at the top of the page), edit your email/PM settings to disallow those mechanisms. Then, don't post any more. Functionally equivalent to not being registered.

You should've been a moderator, Sal. You're really good at this.

Unregistering, as opposed to simply going inactive, is that one's name is removed from the Members list in general, not just from the Active Members list. IOW, it removes one's name from the database itself, as PenGun pointed out.

It would be the same as being banished from the site, only in the opposite direction, as I said above. In comparison, going inactive would be the equivalent of being suspended - nothing changes except the activity.

The implications are very different and that's probably why this kind of decision is usually removed from the user (or at least strongly discouraged).

Lachlan 717

Marko,

Whilst I'm not saying you're going to leave, I'd be disappointed if you did, especially if your 2500-odd posts go with you.

Within those posts there is some very valuable information. And I'm sure there's plenty more from where it came!

From a purely selfish standing, I'd hate to see you go (if, in fact, that's even a consideration for you!!)
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I like Marko but I think we all ought to suffer the same "Google-my-name-and-find-embarassing-things" consequences ;-) The Internet nerd elite shouldn't be able to "massage" their history!

And believe me, when it comes to embarrassing things online... where are those nakeed pictures of me?