Thread: Mystery Century stand

Mystery Century stand

Does anyone know what model this stand is? It has a Century nameplate (see attached). I've never seen one like this -- it looks very early.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Mystery Century stand

Ben, I don't know the model but I've got it's twin brother in my garage. Certainly different from all the others I've ever seen.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

loujon

Hi Bro

This is Pre-" Semi Centennial "(double post) Century Stand .I think they are referred to as "Century Stand #1-#2".
    Century Camera Co. or Eastman Kodak bought the Patent & works of the designer (E.C Fisher)of the Semi Centennial in Boston Mass. & moved the operation to Rochester N.Y.. From that time on this was the Century Semi Centennial stand #1-#2. BTW Great rig. Kind of the polar opposite of this... How far they came before falling completely out of fashion. Man I still love em'.

BTW- Go to Google books & search Century camera stands or Portrait camera stands. You will have a whole host of articles & adds for all types of portrait camera stands.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 16-Jun-2010 at 12:38. Reason: add

Your stand dates from between 1900 (the founding of the eponymous Century Camera Company) and 1907 when they were acquired by Kodak--as Louis outlines.

The following ad shows your stand: http://www.historiccamera.com/cgi-bi...ogin=century_1

Thanks guys! I have tried Google books, but it's a bit hard to sort through all the information. After looking around, it seems like this stand is a No. 2 Century Studio Stand.

A friend bought this thing, and we're trying to figure out how the raising/lowering lock works. It's definitely broken on his.

Louis,
    That is a very slick dark beauty you have there! What is it?

loujon

Hi Bro

Sorry. posted yesterday & did not see this well,,, until now.

Well this my friend is a very short lived "Century Imperial Studio Unit". Made in the early to mid 1920's from what info I have found or posses . Here is what I gather. in the 1920's Portrait studios (High End) Had shed the Victorian interiors for a modern Art-deco interior . So Century designed & built these Beauties. I don't think Kodak made many of as they where quit expensive. For example in 1924 they cost double the price of an 11x14 Century 8a I know this is the only one I have seen.

It's unbelievably well built with all kinds of machined parts. The stand has a three wheel lift kit under the carriage. After camera is in position you just lower a the unit w/ a pedal on the rear base of stand.The same pedal raises it back up to reposition.
    The finish is like a Seneca w/ black lacquer. The camera body is attached to the stand directly so it becomes one unit . The camera is attached by three hinges. two in front. one in the rear the stand has tilt ,rise & fall. Also unique to this Century camera focuses by worm drive & the front standard moves forward to focus. The bellows are very cool as well. Two sets attached in the middle w/ a Vandium (name of metal finish by EK) finish. It has a wheel that moves as you focus front standard out. Keeps em from sagging.

Sorry for the hijack & hope this sheds some light on the Century Imperial View .

Gotta go cut the grass. Oh well

Oh what the hell plenty of light left. I think this is kind of funny. this is directly from printed Eastman Professional Catalog 1921

"The Century Imperial Studio Unit provides the setting around which a more attractive camera room may be built--One which is different--distinctive, and at once stamps a studio as progressive and up to date." Now that's funny.

Peace
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Louis,
    That is a very slick dark beauty you have there! What is it?