Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LA to Sacramento Route ?

Red face LA to Sacramento Route ?

I'm up to Sacramento next month. I'm driving so I can take cameras. The route is the question. LF & MF are going along.

Options :

1. The long way, up 395 to Carson City and across. Obvious opportunities, and the way I may go.

2. Up the 5. Most direct, but not much photogenic material.

3. Up the 99. I love the San Joaquin valley. This is a maybe, but uncharted territory
    for LF (for me).

4. Hwy 101. This is also fairly "target rich" I may come back this waty.

Who has suggestions for option 2 & 3. ?

Ken

Pomona, CA

Re: LA to Sacramento Route ?

Ken,

#4 or #1
    the valley maybe too hot in July.

If you end up going with #2, I'd suggest taking the 101 to the 33 in Ojai, 33-N (through Los Padres NF) to Carrizo Plains, go through Carrizo Plains and jump on the 58-E to the 5 and proceed up to Sacramento.

If it were me and I had the time, I'd go with #1.

Coming from Pomona, I assume you already are completely familiar with hot and smoggy (I lived near the intersection of the 10 and 57 freeways for a few years).

I personally love 101 and never bother with 5 any more....but, for a Pomona to Sacramento trip....101 is way the heck out of the way. Same with 395. I think 99 is the only reasonable choice - unless you're looking for a very leisurely drive. If I had to choose between the two...I'd go for the 99....but, only because the food is better and the people friendlier along the 99. There is interesting stuff to photograph on all of these routes...just different.

If you have lots of time and don't mind going way, way out of the way...go up the 395 and come back on the 99 or 101.

Drew Wiley

You must love heat and smog. Why not take Hwy 1 up the coast instead, then cut
    inland over Pacheco Pass?

From Pasadena, or backwards on the way home:
    210-5-163 thru the soth edge of Maricopa, north to Soda lake and the Carrisa, west on 58 thru Simmler, cut north to Cholame, 41 to 33. Choices, stay on 33 to Coalinga then north west on 198 to Pacheco Pass. Other choice turn off 33 at Avenal and go north across the SJV to Madera via Kerman [145 and 45 I think] then wiggle your way east to follow the BNSF railroad NW again to Merced via Planada, do it again thru Merced to get the back road to Modesto, Riverbank, Escalon, then choose 99 or 5 from Stockton to Sacto. Rivers, hills, orchards, cows, small towns with grain elevators/feedmills, airplane museum, cool old buildings, cows, golden grass.

Or, 395 to Mono Lake & Bodie then Tioga Pass thru Yosemite! 140 to Merced then North through the San Joaquin valley.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

An other option is to go along the western foothills of the Sierras.

Take 99 up to Fresno, then take 41 to Oakhurst. Then take 49 up to Placerville and get on US-50 to get where you are going.

I haven't taken that exact route, so I can't comment on time. Google maps claims 8.5 hours.

The western foothills are nice and you will go through several gold rush towns.

-Matt

For I-5 route - Locke, CA - 5 miles West of I-5 and about 30 miles South of Sacramento - old Chinese town on the Sacramento River ... can then follow the river road into Sac. Here's a link to some photos of Locke [ Link to Locke photos]. Can also visit if you go back via 101 ... just head South to Locke and then across through the Sacramento Delta country which is also scenic ... you'll go through Walnut Grove, Isleton, and Rio Vista ... all Sacramento River and Delta towns ... and come out in the East Bay.

Another potential route is Hwy 49 ... the Gold Country Hwy ... if you leave 99 at Merced you catch 49 at Mariposa ... a series of nice gold rush era towns in the Sierra foothills all the way up to just East of Sacramento including Mariposa [Link to virtual tour], Sonora [Link](with a side trip to Columbia ... a restored town with blacksmith shop, operating stage coach, gold panning, etc. [Link]), Angel's Camp (Twain's jumping frogs), San Andreas, Jackson, Sutter Creek (all quaint with period architecture), and a jog up to Plymouth (wine country and the current home of Packard Shutter manufacturing.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Another potential route is Hwy 49 ... the Gold Country Hwy ... if you leave 99 at Merced you catch 49 at Mariposa ... a series of nice gold rush era towns in the Sierra foothills all the way up to just East of Sacramento including Mariposa [Link to virtual tour], Sonora [Link](with a side trip to Columbia ... a restored town with blacksmith shop, operating stage coach, gold panning, etc. [Link]), Angel's Camp (Twain's jumping frogs), San Andreas, Jackson, Sutter Creek (all quaint with period architecture), and a jog up to Plymouth (wine country and the current home of Packard Shutter manufacturing.)

This is an excellent suggestion!