Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bracketing...

Re: Bracketing...

I don't bracket and most times I get it right and for the others I try to learn from my mistakes. If faced with a once in a life time shot I would bracket if time permitted.

Bracket IF you think it might be an extraordinary image. Otherwise, don't waste the film.
    (See AA's description of shooting Moonrise.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Bracket IF you think it might be an extraordinary image. Otherwise, don't waste the film.
    (See AA's description of shooting Moonrise.)

If you read AA's book The Making of Forty Negatives you will find that he bracketed quite a bit. I figure that AS knew as much about exposure and development as most of us and the reasons he used to bracket are no less valid today than in his time.

Looking back I did not bracket many times when I now wish I had. On the other hand, I can not think of a single time I bracketed when I now wish I had not.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I don't bracket. I do sometimes shoot a backup negative when I anticipate stand development, or I will never get the chance to shoot that image again.

Quote Originally Posted by bvstaples View Post
    And is there an advantage, given that I’ve almost always used the metered exposure, to having the second sheet?
    If the shot is one that can't be retaken, there may be some justification for taking a second shot using the same exposure. Then develop only one of the sheets; if it turns out badly for some reason, you'll then have a second sheet to retry with altered development or a different lab.

For myself, I rarely shoot a second sheet, and I only bracket in cases where I'm ambivalent about the best exposure; i.e., some sunsets.

That type of special situation aside, IMO bracketing is an admission that you either don't trust your equipment, or are unsure of your ability to use it...

Bracketing as a routine matter because the photographer is uncertain of the correct exposure is a crutch that should be discarded as soon as possible IMHO. It's a waste of time and film. There are some special situations where it's warranted but much better to learn how to expose routine situations correctly so you don't have to bracket. I used to routinely bracket with 120 film, one stop at what I thought was the correct exposure and another one stop "overexposed" to ensure that I got adequate shadow detail. I almost always found that a good print could be made from either one so I stopped doing it. I never bracketed sheet film.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

45-57-617

Sorry guys,

I have just returned from Tasmania. I can't imagine not bracketing. The severe range of values within a scene is such that if bracketing is not used, perhaps a full third to half of some images would be lost. (I'm thinking of a river in a dark rainforest canyon)

I do also plan to do the HDR thing eventually - only subtle ...

This is apart from bracketing because I feel insecure about what I'm doing !!

My success rate has improved substantially post-lightmeter but having travelled so far and it having cost so much I just can't not try to secure / insure my efforts!

Cheers,

Steve

I always shoot two sometimes three with normal, under over. now with 4x5 and 8x10 I shoot normal and one over.
    Usually very happy with the normal, I use the sunny f16 and find it works really well for me.

One major limit is carrying holders. If I was a serious backpacker, I would probably shoot only one sheet in most cases.

One negative unless I think something happened to cause camera movement. My personal opinion is that bracketing is for those who don't want to make the effort to learn to expose and develop correctly.