Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Photograph Found In Attic Sell for $30K

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Rare Photograph Found In Attic Sell for $30K

A portrait http://www.argus-press.com/news/nati...f541af862.html of slave children dating back to the 1850's or so was found in an attic. The camera must have been a large format view camera.

A few years back while awaiting for demonstrators to show up for the Michael Morales execution at San Quentin which was postponed, several member of the media engaged in a lively discussion about the consequences of the demise of film. One of the consequences mentioned was that finding historical photos such as this will no longer happen.

Re: Rare Photograph Found In Attic Sell for $30K

Did you see the comment? There was a link to an ebay auction where the same photo sold as part of a lot for about $150.

Who says that people won't be finding digital negatives floating around online in the future?

The future is not here yet.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

I like the collection of stereograms. . .

one photo for 30,000, unless it's a one-off of a one-off event, just doesn't make sense to me. No wonder I'm not a collector

… plus, I now have a copy of that photo
    Last edited by sultanofcognac; 11-Jun-2010 at 11:00. Reason: forgot to add:
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

I just took a photograph of that from my computer monitor. It will be enlarged to 6 feet across and mounted in Diasec. Check with my dealer for pricing, but if you have to ask, it is too much for you....

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dahlgren View Post

Who says that people won't be finding digital negatives floating around online in the future?

The future is not here yet.
    You don't really expect that the photos you post today on Flicker, are going to be there 150 years from now do you? Fat chance of that and a far less thance that the ones you don't post on an electronic board will ever be found - even if left in your attic on a memory card/disk.

"I like the future ... I'm in it"
    Firesign Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Whitman View Post
    "I like the future ... I'm in it"
    Firesign Theater
    Yeah, but as Yogi Berra said, "The future ain't what it used to be."

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    A portrait http://www.argus-press.com/news/nati...f541af862.html of slave children dating back to the 1850's or so was found in an attic. The camera must have been a large format view camera.

A few years back while awaiting for demonstrators to show up for the Michael Morales execution at San Quentin which was postponed, several member of the media engaged in a lively discussion about the consequences of the demise of film. One of the consequences mentioned was that finding historical photos such as this will no longer happen.
    O.K., I'll bite. Why not?
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I tend to agree that few photos will be found or viewed. For one thing, instead of having a shoe box or two of several hundred family photos, there will be disks/cards/whatever of tens or hundreds of thousands of photos - no one will bother.

Second, think of all the early digital photos that were saved to 3.5 floppies (Sony and others). 3.5" drives haven't been included on computers expect as special order for years now. Bet the same happens with the various cards that are popular today.

Third, magnetic and optical storage of information has not been that secure. I, personally, have hundreds of old floppies that are mysteriously no longer readable. Also have a bunch of CDs who's best use is as a coaster - especially if they were just tossed in a drawer for a couple of months. Have plenty of boxes/envelopes of photographs that have been stored in drawers for decades that are in fine shape. Electronic media requires periodic, active maintenance and redundancy if the data is to be considered secure.

Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    I, personally, have hundreds of old floppies that are mysteriously no longer readable. Also have a bunch of CDs who's best use is as a coaster - especially if they were just tossed in a drawer for a couple of months. Have plenty of boxes/envelopes of photographs that have been stored in drawers for decades that are in fine shape. Electronic media requires periodic, active maintenance and redundancy if the data is to be considered secure.
    That's right. Several news film and video archives have become useless over the years after forward-thinking people of the 1980's transferred their old 16mm newsreels to VHS, Beta, U-Matic, or MII. By now the videotape copies are largely unplayable or the video players have died, whereas the original 16mm films still work.