Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal software?

bdkphoto

Re: Ideal software?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Silverfast (or any other frontend) for scanning doesn't give a perfect scan.
    There's no way to know until the file is there, and I need tweaks, removing a subtle colour cast, sharpening, dust/spot removal.
    The workflow is there with PS, but I admit all I want is Camera Raw as a standalone.

As for raw, I'm having to spend an hour & double the disk space to convert raw to tiff/dng to edit in PSE. I'd not be looking for new s/w if the old stuff worked.

I no longer have a student card, so I'm probably going to have to join an evening class just to get a student card for getting discount.
    You should be able to convert the camera raw to DNG directly without generating tiff files. DNG is a raw format (open source). The Adobe DNG converter is free, and while it is one extra step it is an easy workflow. Download your Camera Raw files to computer, open the Adobe DNG converter, convert files to DNG, save. If space is limited no need to save the original Camera raw files. Now you will be able to open the DNG files in earlier version of PS and process as before. Costs nothing and does not double your file storage. If you wish to keep your original camera raw files you can embed them in your DNG files for later extraction.

Truthfully, you should spend some time with Lightroom before dismissing it. The raw conversion is far superior to early versions on PS, and all the workflow is non- destructive, as it is Parametric Image Editor.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    ... as it is Parametric Image Editor.

Hehe... PIE....

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Hehe... PIE....
    It's actually called Pieware in the industry ;-))

Quote Originally Posted by bdkphoto View Post
    Adobe has great education discounts for students and educators. If you are still in school take advantage and purchase the latest version now with your student ID.
    I agree. I just purchased CS4 Design Premium for $325 on the student/educational discount. It's a full version too, not some crippled down version.

As I am re-enrolled in school again I just got the CS5 master suite for only $599.00 through an educational software outlet. It just takes them a month to ship it to me (should arrive this week or early next). Though for Lightroom 3 (released yesterday) I ordered that directly from Adobe for $89.00+ shipping from there direct educational store.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

A short while ago I was looking for a photoshop alternative to do 16bit images and curves adjustment layers. I didn't find anything really, but my boss found an unused copy of CS3 that I'm using now.

Then I found a program called PhotoLine, which costs something like $60 and has both of my requirements. You can have a look at PhotoLine http://www.pl32.com
    I've only played around with it and didn't check for RAW files support (on my Arca I couldn't find the switch for "RAW or JPG", it seems to always default to "Film", whatever that is). Adjustment layers seem to work fine though, which is what I played around with extensively. The curves interface is even a bit nicer than PhotoShop. For the moment I'm staying with my CS3 PhotoShop, but if that option ever goes away I'll probably try PhotoLine.

That looks like a very good application - especially for 59 Euros !

Thanks for telling us about it !!

If I had a student card I'd not be asking for alternatives

I'll see how PL is once I have the energy.

Thanks everyone.

Since you're in school, have you looked into the student version of Photoshop? It's much more affordable.

Rider, the issue is I'm *not* in school.