Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fujinar 250mm f/4.5 -- what should I expect?

Fujinar 250mm f/4.5 -- what should I expect?

Just picked up a 250mm f/4.5 Fujinar in a presumably large "Shanel 5B-S" shutter. Given that there is apparently no info about either item on the Internet, I thought I would ask you guys. What should I expect? Is this a process lens?

Re: Fujinar 250mm f/4.5 -- what should I expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Just picked up a 250mm f/4.5 Fujinar in a presumably large "Shanel 5B-S" shutter. Given that there is apparently no info about either item on the Internet, I thought I would ask you guys. What should I expect? Is this a process lens?
    I'd wager its a Tessar design; probably covers 5x7 well. There is "some" info on the web, it takes several Google searches to bring it up.

Good luck.

Mike

I almost bought that but then had a déjà vu, realizing I ALREADY HAD that lens.
    I have it mounted in a barrel and just recently mounted it on a lensboard for enlarging 8x10 negatives. So if I bought it, I'd really just be getting the Shanel shutter.

I should have plenty of coverage on 8x10. They had it listed as 10x12 coverage and I suspect that would be correct. The price was good, so unless that shutter doesn't work, you got a real bargain WA 8x10 lens.

Good you had this déjà vu!
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Thanks guys, I can't wait to try it out... I'm a bit confuzzled, because if this really is a Tessar design with 55° coverage, that should only give me a 260mm image circle. However, KEH did list it very optimistically as 10x12, which would indicate a much larger circle.

Hmm, well, nothing to do but give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Thanks guys, I can't wait to try it out... I'm a bit confuzzled, because if this really is a Tessar design with 55° coverage, that should only give me a 260mm image circle. However, KEH did list it very optimistically as 10x12, which would indicate a much larger circle.

Hmm, well, nothing to do but give it a try!
    If it is an f4.5 Tessar (which I am pretty sure it is), I also have a very hard time believing that it would cover 8x10, let alone 10x12.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Is this a repro lens, like from a copy machine? A Tessar design in this application would have no trouble covering 8x10 since it's nowhere near infinity. But try to take a landscape photo...

This is pure speculation on my part. I've never seen one of these.

Jason, neither of my 240mm Xenars (1929 or 1968 vintage) has any problem covering 8x10.

Yes it is a Tessar design. I held it up to an 8x10 camera and at infinity there is still a reasonably good crescent of light seen when peeking in at each corner. In terms of projected image, the light fall off at the edge is much more gradual than a modern lens.

I got mine to do 30x40in enlargements of 8x10 on the baseboard (without having to project horizontal), but I have yet to use it. Its a little soft at the edges compared to the Durst branded Componons, when viewed through the grain magnifier. I suspect the prints will be fine as no one looks at 30x40 prints with a 10x magnifier.

I would never be using this thing at infinity -- more like between 4 - 12 feet... If it doesn't cover well enough, I'll pass it on to a 5x7 user here or someone in need of a gigantic shutter!