Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 75mmBiogon vs. 75mm Grandigon -N

75mmBiogon vs. 75mm Grandigon -N

Dan;

I received my Pacific 3" Biogonoid this afternoon, only to find much of the glass smashed to pieces by some sort of bracket which came loose in shipping. So, no testing on this one. If I put it together correctly it does look like its 10 elements...

jason

Ouch! Well, that's one way to find out.

KB-18 shoot 70 mm film or 5"?

70mm perf - 250 feet of it. The camera is a rotating lens type that covers 180 degrees by about 40 degrees. It was used in fighter aircraft to (try to) report target damage. It was after my time in-service.

looking at the doorstop mainly to help Charlie organize his thoughts a little.

What do you need to know?

FWIW, here's the shutter with a Waterhouse type stop inserted. One set of shutter blades was deactivated and holds the stop in place. This shows both sides of the shutter.

elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/tmp/aper-a.jpg

elearning.winona.edu/staff_o/jjs/tmp/aper-b.jpg

That particular aperture was WAY too small and diffraction had profound effects. It is, of course, intended to be shot wide open.

If you want a shutter, get the one shown. You can see the part number. Others look similar but do not fit.

Jason, regrets, sympathy. Ouch!

Struan, the little 6"/2.8 Elcan for 6x6 is cataloged as type C138. The lenses' serial numbers are all 138-xxxx. The big 'un is a different type.

John, thanks for the further info. I'll betcha the KB-18 uses the little 6" Elcan.

And thanks especially for the news that there there's room to attach a stop to the doorstop's shutter. Mine has its shutter, in fact looking at the shutter gave me the idea of using a waterhouse stop. Its the same as yours, 7438-6015. And AFAIK Charlie's has its shutter too. For curiosity, who sells 'em?

Cheers,

For curiosity, who sells 'em?

I don't know if there are any left, but if you write good old Fred at www.surplusshed.com he will see if there are any among the things he hasn't advertised.

The KB-18 uses 70 mm film, and has a rotating prism in front of the lens. The image on film is 9.4" by 2.25" and covers 180° in the long direction, but as far as I can tell the film is fed past a slit in synchronisation with the movement of the prism, so coverage of the lens is probably MF at best. All the listings I have seen say the lens is a 3" f2.8 by Zeiss, but the chances it is another Biogon type seem slim.

Have fun with the doorstops, and thanks for the thoughts.

Struan, if you're watching, the 6"/2.8 Elcan for 4.5 x 4.5 is type C180, serial numbers are probably 180-xxxx. Cataloged weight is 6.8 pounds. Another doorstop, I fear. Certainly not a lens for a backpacking 4x5 photographer.

Cheers,

Dan

I once met an expedition that had employed five porters simply to carry the money to pay off the other porters once they reached their destination. A lousy seven pounds is no challenge, even to my knees.