Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Genuine Fractals

Genuine Fractals

http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing...m_medium=email

Is this a fair comparison of Genuine Fractals versus increasing file size in Photoshop?

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Re: Genuine Fractals

Her ya go:

Was 2048x2048 in the 'camera' so it's sorta large format, product of Fractint running on DOS 6.2

IME its pretty close.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

At my former work place, the post production guys preferred interpolating in 10% steps with bicubric smoother, with a very slight unsharp mask filter at each step. They preferred this to any of the task specific software that they tried, including Genuine Fractals. They did this test about 2 years ago.

They do a lot of up-rezzing, as clients come in with small files and want big prints on a regular basis.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Peter, when I tested this about 2.5 -3 years ago, I found GF to be superior to that technique and GF has had one major upgrade since then which improved it even more.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    At my former work place, the post production guys preferred interpolating in 10% steps with bicubric smoother, with a very slight unsharp mask filter at each step. They preferred this to any of the task specific software that they tried, including Genuine Fractals. They did this test about 2 years ago.

They do a lot of up-rezzing, as clients come in with small files and want big prints on a regular basis.
    Do you know if they automated this process (with Photoshop actions or something) or was step by step "hand" done?

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    http://www.ononesoftware.com/landing...m_medium=email

Is this a fair comparison of Genuine Fractals versus increasing file size in Photoshop?

Sandy King
    My understanding is that back in the Photoshop 7 days, GF presented an advantage. However, the resizing algorithms in PS have been improved (mostly when they offered the two specific reduction and enlargement options).

I've done a couple of tests this week with the new version of GF, comparing it to PS CS3. My methodology has been to take a 35mm scan or digital file, and enlarge it to my largest printing size (30x45).

Honestly, I don't see much of a difference. The GF file might be a tad sharper, but it is also more noisy.

I was certainly not able to observe a difference as dramatic as the one shown on the page linked. I'll be *very* interested to see such an example with an independent user image.

Here's one recent comparison I found comparing GF6 to Photoshop's bicubic smoother, about 4.5x enlargement:

http://www.nikonians.org/resources/r...-review-en?p=2

To my inexperienced eye the GF6 enlargement is ever-so-slightly better. Barely noticeable. The test image was from a DSLR, and probably had very little noise. I wonder how noise or grain would be effected. GF6 could be sneaking a touch of sharpening in.

The article makes the point that fractal enlargement is less beneficial to smaller enlarging ratios.

...Mike

I just took 1000x1000 pixel image and brought it up to 15000x15000 with GF... It took over 3 hours on my old mac. I actually had to run the filter twice as it doesn't like enlargements over 10x.

It seem like the software works better with some images then other. It does wonders with straight lines and things that follow a mathematical patterns like clouds. If you are working with images with noise or grain your going to get an issue with the software enhancing the grain instead of the desired detail. It is best to do your grain removal first. If grain is still an issue use a lower detail setting like "low res JPG" and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Here's one recent comparison I found comparing GF6 to Photoshop's bicubic smoother, about 4.5x enlargement:

http://www.nikonians.org/resources/r...-review-en?p=2

To my inexperienced eye the GF6 enlargement is ever-so-slightly better. Barely noticeable. The test image was from a DSLR, and probably had very little noise. I wonder how noise or grain would be effected. GF6 could be sneaking a touch of sharpening in.

The article makes the point that fractal enlargement is less beneficial to smaller enlarging ratios.

...Mike
    FWIW My experience with GF is mostly on digital capture files, where grain is not an issue and noise has been fixed before hand. Yes GF uses some sharpening, but all that is individually adjustable, though I tend to just use the default.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: