Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof mirror finder - adjustment required?

Smile Linhof mirror finder - adjustment required?

Hi all,

I bought one of those Linhof mirror box viewfinder things (cant think of the correct name for it) that clips to the ground glass for focusing. It's a 2 part plastic one with an 80's looking Linhof logo on it. I'm using it on a Master Tech.

Anyhow, I am somewhat disappointed with it's performance as a focusing aid ... You can kind of tell when you're near focus, but a truly sharp image (like i get on the GG without it) eludes me... the thing is well built (obviously) and in good condition. Could the mirror be out somehow??

Anyone? Bob Salomon - HP Marketing ??

Thanks!
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Linhof mirror finder - adjustment required?

Sorry not Bob but another user of Linhof cameras.

Do you have a fresnel-lens? Without you cannot see the whole gg at once. But this is also the limitation of the "Right Angle Reflex Attachment", for focussing with a loupe one has to remove the attachment.

Any device that lets you see all, or amost all, of the GG at one time is really not a focusing device as it only has about 2x magnification. It is a viewing aid. The Right Angle Reflex Attachment is hinged so it can swing down to allow you to put a loupe on the gg for critical focusing. Or you can take the mirror half off and use a loop inside the base of the unit.

And, as Peter mentioned, it must be used with the Fresnel screen.

Thank you both. Could you please explain this, Bob: "Or you can take the mirror half off and use a loop inside the base of the unit."?
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    Thank you both. Could you please explain this, Bob: "Or you can take the mirror half off and use a loop inside the base of the unit."?
    On the version made for the past 3 or 4 decades (4x5' one and 2x3" one) the two halves come apart. If you have one that does not and it fits 45 or 23 cameras then you have an antique.

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    On the version made for the past 4 or 5 decades (4x5' one and 2x3" one) the two halves come apart. If you have one that does not and it fits 45 or 23 cameras then you have an antique.

delete

oooh, I see: stick a loupe inside the bottom half - got it! Probably easier to swing it all outta the way though..

thanks Bob.

Uri,

There is another factor. The Right Angle Reflex Attachment uses a rather expensive front surface mirror. If someone replaced the mirror at some time with a standard mirror then it would not be focusing at the proper point. But they would have saved the cost of the correct mirror.

A rear-surfaced mirror would have a somewhat offset ghost image from the glass surface superimposed on the main image. This will not affect focusing itself, as these mirrored ground glass viewers (other than a proper reflex finder) go after the ground glass and hence cannot affect the focal distance, but it might make it harder to see the GG image.