Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Cemeteries

Re: Cemeteries

. . Dufur Oregon's cemetery is on a lonely, windswept hill on the grasslands east of Mount Hood. A nearby marker had a Charley Brown doll next to a young boy (unrelated) who also died too early on this lovely, lonely land.

. . Dufur, Oregon by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Neg # CE 151. 5x7" camera, modified to take two 6x17 negatives per sheet. 90mm lens, O2 filter, TXP film

More here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/154287...h/27594462779/

Reinhold

Foamer

I come across cemeteries in my wanderings, of course. Most are adjacent to a small church or in a sheltered area that was well populated at the turn of the 19th century. Ornate tombstones are rare in this austere farming region. I visited two older cemeteries (1840s) in northwest Missouri while returning from a trip to Kansas City last weekend. The river plain was flooded so I explored the bluffs while meandering back home. I stopped at Hunter Cemetary which is on a very steep hillside in the bluffs near Rockport, Missouri and took a few photos. Camera was my trusty Chamonix 045n, and the lens for both was a c.1902 Bausch & Lomb rapid rectilinear in Unicum shutter. Film was FP4+, my usual.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockportCem1m.jpg   RockportCem2m.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Mt. Hope Cemetery and Price Memorial Hall - Dahlonega, GA
    Linhof Master Technika, Schneider 90mm f/5.6 XL w/ Linhof orange filter, 25-year-old Tri-X 320 dev'd in Pyrocat 1:1:100:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Whelan Cemetery, established 1888 near Pullman, WA. Although only ~2 acres, one the last and largest never-plowed remnants of Palouse prairie.
    Comment and critique welcome.

DIY 4X5 / Fujinon 90mm f/8 / FP4+ dev. in Xtol / 1/125 sec. f/16

Nice. I wanted to photograph cemeteries in Palouse last summer, but my buddies weren't feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Nice. I wanted to photograph cemeteries in Palouse last summer, but my buddies weren't feeling it.
    I kinda get that. My interest in Whelan is almost entirely place and landscape, rather than it being a cemetery.

From the hill, you're in the midst of a couple acres of original prairie that was a million times larger until 125 years ago, give or take. And just about everyone buried in Whelan Cemetery was alive to see that.

I live in the smallest county in Pa. land wise, and counted no less than 48 known communal cemeteries, possibly more including private family plots, some dating back to the late 1700's. I suppose I should be posting far more photos on this thread than I have.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cem001a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	192532
    Some day I'll have a VA stone here, while my carcass has been donated to medical science.
    Last edited by Jim Jones; 18-Jun-2019 at 06:05. Reason: bad link.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I live in the smallest county in Pa. land wise, and counted no less than 48 known communal cemeteries, possibly more including private family plots, some dating back to the late 1700's. I suppose I should be posting far more photos on this thread than I have.
    Rick, the other day I was reminded that PA is kinda lifeless....it may have something to do with mentioning Altoona, where I lived in late 60's.... it was fading then

Les

Quote Originally Posted by DDrake View Post
    ... From the hill, you're in the midst of a couple acres of original prairie ...
    Interesting. I saw a TV show about what the land in the prairies looked like before 1621. I can't say if all plants and things introduced from Europe made it to Palouse and changed its landscape though.