Thread: Could someone identify the exact model of this Gitzo tripod?

Could someone identify the exact model of this Gitzo tripod?

Could someone identify the exact model of this Gitzo tripod?

It has RA4 written on the bottom of the center column. Its largest leg diameter is approx. 1.5" and it has 3 sections. The center column sits in a 4" opening at the base of the tripod.

Best Regards and thank you for your help,
    Justin

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50222257@N08/

Re: Could someone identify the exact model of this Gitzo tripod?

Looks like a 410R (which I think later was changed to 411). Specs:
    • Height: 0–80″
    • Folded: 32″
    • Weight: 9 lb

I agree, I think it is a 410r as well.

Allan

Thank you for your help. I used one of these a few years back shooting architecture and just found this one on Ebay for a decent price. I was extremely pleased at the condition. It looks like it has been in a closet since it was purchased.

I like the center column but I miss being able to drop it low to the ground. The old one I had used in the past had a leveler with a 4" or 5" handle on the bottom. I found this setup extremely useful. Would you say that levelers and short columns are still available or do any of the newer items fit this old tripod?

Bogen imaging is the importer. Their website is not the best unless you know a product number or their nomenclature for a part.
    The accessories are the same, just different numbers B&H didn't have any 4 series that I noticed. A flat plate for the system 3 is $75, so they aren't cheap. The auction site can be your friend.
    If you can't find a reasonably priced short column, a long column & tubing cutter works.

It's my experience that the nomenclature applied to GITZO tripods is a MESS! What they are called one year bears no relation to what they're called the next, and the identical name may be applied to hugely different models. Good luck in pinning it down.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I don't think Gitzo ever made short columns for the 4 and 5 series; the options were a flat plate and the leveler that you noted. Though much more than part numbers have changed in recent years, the new systematic center plates should still fit older tripods. B&H have them, but at $95 (Gitzo accessories were never cheap), I think it's worth checking the auction sites first. Given that a replacement column is $210, I'd examine other alternatives before reaching for the tubing cutter.

I'd suggest calling Bogen with any questions. I've dealt with them twice for repairs, parts, etc. and they were extremely helpful. When one of the parts for a repair (a Gitzo tripod much like this one coincidentally) worked but not exactly like it should they refunded my money without my even asking.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Ebait can be ur friend.
    There are two listings for NOS Gitzo #435, 5" columns currently $23-$30. These are for the Series 4.
    There's also a leveling spider but without the ball.