Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estimate of Value of Wisner 5x7

Estimate of Value of Wisner 5x7

A friend has asked me to help her sell her Wisner Tech Field 5x7 camera with 4x5 reducing back and bag bellows. She inherited the camera, says it's in mint condition (I haven't seen it yet), wants to sell it, and doesn't know how much to ask. I don't either, not being current on the prices of 5x7 cameras in general and Wisners in particular. I've looked on the completed sales section of ebay and see only one Wisner that's sold and it was a 4x5. I've looked at the web sites of a couple LF dealers and don't see any Wisner 5x7s for sale. If anyone could give me an estimate or your best guess of a fair price for her to ask I'd appreciate it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Estimate of Value of Wisner 5x7

There was a Wisner 5X7 TF on the Bay a few weeks ago. It came with both 4X5 and 5X7 backs and a few extras (lensboards, etc.). It seemed to be in pretty good shape. It went up to about $800 and change at the end of the auction, not meeting the seller's reserve.
    Brian Vuillemenot

I paid $1650.00 for mine a year and half ago. That camera equipped as you described would sell for $3500 when Wisner was still making them.

As the happy owner of two Wisners (8x10 and 14x17) I would (obviously) caution against selling it too low just because Wisner is out of business.

The sort of backup needed with this sort of camera is always available through skilled repair persons, many of who frequent this forum and all of who are likely to be faster to deal with than Wisner himself ever was.

There are a great many quality products that are no longer protected by their manufacturing or support companies (Rollei springs to mind) but that takes nothing away from their intrinsic value.

Perceived value is more tricky.

Here are some examples that I found. All appeared to be in pretty nice condition. The search condition was (wisner*, zone*).

Zone VI (Early Wisner version). Did not sell at $929. [290429076543]

Wisner Tech Field. (Included red bag bellows, 4x5 but not a 5x7 back, 5 boards.) Did not sell at $999. [120562356105]

Wisner Technical Field. (Include both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, red bag bellows, G.G. protector.) Could have sold at $860. (Reserve not met.) [130385155033]

Zone VI (Wisner style) 4x5 camera. Sold for $434. [300420802782]

Zone VI 4x5 (Early Zone VI Wista version). Sold for $503. [350347092641]

Wisner Technical Field with 4x5 back. Failed to sell for $1175. [160425641724]

Zone VI (like Wisner Traditional). (Had 4x5 back.) Sold for $434. Failed to sell for $570. [Canadian auction, 280494280718]

Zone VI 4x5 (Early Zone VI Wista version). Failed to sell for $930. [290425627087]

Zone VI 4x5 (Fred Picker, post Wisner version). Sold for $583. [350341403692]

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Here are some examples that I found. All appeared to be in pretty nice condition. The search condition was (wisner*, zone*).

Zone VI (Early Wisner version). Did not sell at $929. [290429076543]

Wisner Tech Field. (Included red bag bellows, 4x5 but not a 5x7 back, 5 boards.) Did not sell at $999. [120562356105]

Wisner Technical Field. (Include both 4x5 and 5x7 backs, red bag bellows, G.G. protector.) Could have sold at $860. (Reserve not met.) [130385155033]

Zone VI (Wisner style) 4x5 camera. Sold for $434. [300420802782]

Zone VI 4x5 (Early Zone VI Wista version). Sold for $503. [350347092641]

Wisner Technical Field with 4x5 back. Failed to sell for $1175. [160425641724]

Zone VI (like Wisner Traditional). (Had 4x5 back.) Sold for $434. Failed to sell for $570. [Canadian auction, 280494280718]

Zone VI 4x5 (Early Zone VI Wista version). Failed to sell for $930. [290425627087]

Zone VI 4x5 (Fred Picker, post Wisner version). Sold for $583. [350341403692]
    Thanks Neil and to others who responded.

I didn't search for Zone VI because I forgot about the Zone VI/Wisner connection. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though I'm not sure how comparable the Wisner/Zone VIs were to Wisner Tech Fields. Either way, the prices for Wisners these days seem depressingly (for my friend) low. I don't know whether that's because uninformed people think repairs won't be available or whether Ron's reputation for inconsistent quality causes people to shy away or whether it's just the general state of the LF market these days or all of the above.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be

Octogenarian

Wisner Tech Field and Zone VI cameras are not exactly the same.

After he and Picker broke up, Wisner added a geared rear tilt, along with a few other design features, to his Traditional cameras and called them Tech Fields.

Since the geared rear tilt mechanism was patented, Picker could not add this feature to his cameras.

Although Wisner made cameras for Zone VI for a while, he only made 4x5's, and I don't believe that Picker ever marketed a 5x7 camera.

A Wisner 5x7 Tech Field in excellent condition, with the accessories that the OP mentioned (and a few Wisner lens boards), should sell for approx. $1500.

I have owned both a 4X5 Zone VI (89 vintage) and the Wisner Tech Field 5X7 with 4x5 reducing back. There is no comparison between these cameras. The Wisner is much more elaborate and much more robust. The downside is the weight. I imagine that the Wisner weighs very near the V8 Deardorff that I owned at one time.

To clarify what I got for the $1,650 was the 5X7 camera, 4X5 reducing back, two Wisner wooden ground glass protectors, bag bellows and two lens boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    the prices for Wisners these days seem depressingly low. I don't know whether that's because uninformed people think repairs won't be available or whether Ron's reputation for inconsistent quality causes people to shy away or whether it's just the general state of the LF market these days or all of the above.
    I would say that it is the later (Ron's poor reputation - verging on notoriety). That along with the simple fact that fashion today is all about cheap knock-offs from china. Nobody wants to pay for craftsmanship today...all the buzz is around cheap...and then after they spend their hard earned on cheap and brand new from China, they rave about how wonderful it is.

Show us some photos...and ask what ever you / your friend seem to think is right. Better yet, take lots of big, clear photos and list it on ebay with no reserve and starting bid of $0.99. It'll sell for exactly what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I would say that it is the later (Ron's poor reputation - verging on notoriety). That along with the simple fact that fashion today is all about cheap knock-offs from china. Nobody wants to pay for craftsmanship today...all the buzz is around cheap...and then after they spend their hard earned on cheap and brand new from China, they rave about how wonderful it is.

Show us some photos...and ask what ever you / your friend seem to think is right. Better yet, take lots of big, clear photos and list it on ebay with no reserve and starting bid of $0.99. It'll sell for exactly what it is worth.
    I'll probably list it here and a couple other places first to save the fees and hassle of ebay. There's a huge amount of other stuff - seven lenses, Ries tripod, changing bags, all sorts of things. Then whatever doesn't sell that way I'll put on ebay for her.
    Brian Ellis